Villanova welcomes parents to campus

Kerry Lester

It’s that time again. Whirl that vacuum around your 13×14 room, pick up those scattered books and syllabi, and attempt to finish that mountain of laundry before Friday. It’s Parents Weekend, where both students and the University want to show mom and dad what a true bargain $30,000 plus per academic year is indeed.

Junior Nicole Angueira talks of the difference in this weekend’s atmosphere compared to moving day in late August. “The best part of Parent’s Weekend for me is having my Mom and Dad see the way my life is put together now – who my friends are, what my dorm is like, and where I go to class.”

However, what are these happy families going to do with one another for two and a half days? No student wants his mother cooped up in his dorm, running her fingers along the window sills searching for dust bunnies. Junior Alexandra Reed says, “I can’t wait to go shopping with my Mom.” Not a shopper? Fortunately, Villanova has prepared a schedule of events which can be enjoyed rain or shine, on your own or as a family function.

Tom Mogan, director of Student Development, has been hard at work planning the weekend for nearly the past year. “I couldn’t have done it alone,” Mogan explains. “Working with the staff of the Student Development office has helped to coordinate all the events together, and make sure everything runs smoothly.”

Here are a few highlights:

Friday kicks off with a 10 a.m. Senior Class Golf Outing. Held at the Pickering Valley Golf Club in Malvern, the $40 cost includes lunch, car and greens fees. Students can sign up in person by visiting 214 Dougherty Hall.

At 8 o’clock that evening, the Class of 2005’s Ring Celebration will be held in the pavilion. Some of the University’s most distinguished faculty members will be distributing the ring. An hour prior to the reception, the vice president for Student Life will sponsor a reception with refreshments and appetizers.

Saturday begins with the President’s Welcoming Address at 9 a.m. in the Villanova room of the Connelly Center. A free continental breakfast is provided, as Rev. Edmund J. Dobbin, O.S.A., will speak of the current and future state of Villanova University. If you attend, you’ll finish with time to spare before the Wildcats attack Northeastern University at 12:30 p.m. in the Villanova Stadium. Extra game tickets may be purchased through the Athletic Department’s ticket office, which can be reached at (610)519-4300. That evening, “An Evening of Improv”, starring “Who’s Line is it Anyways?'”s Colin Mochree and Brad Sherwood, will perform to a sold out crowd at 8:30 p.m. in the Pavilion. In the past few years, speakers such as Polish politician Lech Walesa, and author Frank McCourt have been the guests of honor. “The average audience was between 2,000 and 2,500 people,” says Mogan. Although the event is scheduled for 8:30 p.m., he cautions those planning on attending to arrive at least one hour prior to the performance. This year there are approximately 5,000 guests coming. Mogan believes Mochree and Sherwood’s act is “really popular because it appeals to both students and parents.”

Before your families head back home on Sunday make sure to attend Parent’s Weekend Liturgy, 11 a.m. in the Pavilion. During this Mass, the student liturgical ministers will be commissioned for the 2003-04 academic year. Still have some extra time? At 1 p.m. the student dance and musical groups will present a Music Activities Showcase. Admission is free.

The University Shop will extend its hours, open Friday through Sunday until 8 p.m. Also, courtesy of Dining Services, parents and siblings under 12-years-old eat free Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

As this weekend passes, enjoy a good meal, give your little brother a wedgie and most importantly take advantage of the family time you’ve missed these last couple weeks. The upside if it goes badly? You still have a few weeks to make alternate plans before October break.