Wildcat Thrift Preview

Pepper Ritchey
Students parse through clothing from the Wildcat Thrift Shop in the Driscoll Tents at last year’s Wildcat Thrift.

Wildcat Thrift, Villanova’s biannual pop-up thrift shop, is being held on Friday, Nov. 17 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Oreo. Individual students and student groups, including Greek Life organizations, the Society of Women Engineers and more, will have tables selling used clothes and accessories. Like a traditional thrift store, students and other community members will have the opportunity to buy these items at significant discounts from their retail amounts.

Organized by the Student Sustainability Committee (SSC), Wildcat Thrift is celebrating its third year on campus. Fiona Lonergan, SSC member and head of Wildcat Thrift, explained the purpose of Wildcat Thrift. 

“In addition to being a fun opportunity to find new clothes, [Wildcat Thrift] supports a circular economy on campus and helps prevent clothing waste,” Lonergan said. “The whole idea of a circular economy is to reduce consumption and increase the longevity of the products we use. By popping up, we are giving clothes a second life and extending their use.”

In addition to supporting sustainability efforts on campus, Wildcat Thrift provides the opportunity to support various other good causes. While individual vendors are allowed to sell their items for a profit, the proceeds of all student organizations will be donated to charity. The Chi Omega table, for example, will be benefiting children with critical illnesses through Make-A-Wish. 

Wildcat Thrift has been very successful in prior years, with some tables selling more than $500 worth of clothing. This year marks Wildcat Thrift’s first time at the Oreo, as it was previously held at the Driscoll Tents. Lonergan is hoping its new location will generate more foot traffic and make this year even more successful than prior years.

Those interested in learning more can follow @villanovasustainability on Instagram or stop by Wildcat Thrift on Friday.