Baseball Looks Forward to Promising 2024 Season

The Wildcats seek to improve last season’s disappointing 14–37 record in 2024.

Villanova baseball is coming off a down year and posted a 14–37 record in 2023. The Wildcats’ .275 winning percentage was one of the lowest in school history.

The ‘Cats finished 7–13 in the conference and in seventh place out of eight teams. 

Despite the disappointing 2023 season, the Wildcats showed great potential and several of their players are poised to break out this season.

Sophomore infielder Michael Whooley is coming off a terrific freshman year. Whooley collected 36 hits, 16 RBIs and one home run, with a .303 batting average. 

Also returning for the 2024 season are several key upperclassmen for the Villanova squad. 

Graduate infielder/outfielder Jack O’Reilly looks to continue his success after batting .303 last season with 59 hits, 25 RBIs and a team-high eight home runs.

“Jack O’Reilly is ready to break out,” head coach Kevin Mulvey said. “He had a really good year, and is working hard this year. He looks great in practice.”

Infielder Cameron Hassert will be returning for his senior season. Hasert had a .292 batting average and 1.025 OPS in 18 games. Hassert also hit six home runs and recorded 17 RBIs, proving to be one of Villanova’s top hitters in just a short span of games.

On the pitching end, Devin Rivera will also be coming back for his senior season. Rivera remained Villanova’s top pitcher throughout last year. Rivera started in 14 games, recording a 5.84 ERA, 45 strikeouts and a 2-7 record in 74 innings pitched.

Also returning is senior hurler Cade Udell, who finished the 2023 campaign with 39 strikeouts over 27 innings pitched and held opposing batters to a .165 average.

“Our strike-throwing ability needs to improve from last year,” Mulvey said. “That was an emphasis this fall for our pitching staff. Throw more strikes and we will reap the benefits.”

Princeton and Rowan visited Villanova in its 2023 fall schedule. The Wildcats recorded a 4–1 win and a 7–7 tie in a double-header against Princeton on Sept. 30. Villanova’s pitching staff showed strong potential, throwing more 60-percent strikes.

According to Mulvey, the Wildcats will focus on improving each individual player while also being able to compete within and outside the Big East. 

As eight rookies will make up Villanova’s freshman class in 2024, players will be competing for starting spots this season to have an impact on the field. 

“I’m very excited about this season,” Mulvey said. “We have a good group of guys that love the game of baseball and love each other.”

Villanova will travel to San Antonio, TX for its first game on Friday, Feb. 16 against University of the Incarnate Word. Facing the Cardinals for the first time since 2015, the Wildcats will look to sweep the series and start the season 3-0.

The Wildcats will have a travel-filled regular season with away series opponents including Davidson, Pepperdine and East Tennessee State. St. Peter’s will visit Villanova on March 20 at 3 p.m. in the non-league season’s only home game.

Big East play will begin on March 28 with an away series against Georgetown.