University Ranked Amongst Top Colleges

Wyatt Noble

The University was again placed amongst the top 50 of U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Colleges” for its 2019 rankings. Not only was the University ranked 49th overall, but it also ranked 19th in “Alumni Giving,” 40th in “High School Counselors’ Top College Picks” and 48th for “Best Value.” 

This marks the second time the University has been considered a National University for U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Colleges” rankings. According to U.S. News and World Report, “schools in the National Universities category offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s and doctoral programs. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research.” 

The University had long been considered a “regional university,” and was ranked #1 on U.S. News’ North Regional Universities for 23 straight years. 

Universities are assessed based on a plethora of indicators of excellence such as: academic reputation, student retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance and ratings by high school counselors.

During the past five years the University has seen a 50 percent increase in admissions applications while also concluding the most successful fundraising campaign in its history. The campaign, “For the Greater Great: The Villanova Campaign to Ignite Change,” which began in 2013, raised $760 million. With annual alumni participation rising 30 percent during the campaign’s final year, the University was able to surpass its initial goal by over $160 million.

The University continues to excel academically with 16 students receiving Fulbright U.S. Student Grants this past year, four more than last year. The University also boasts a successful placement rate of 96.3 percent for the class of 2017 as top graduate schools, companies and organizations around the world continue to recruit Villanovans.