Villanova’s Own A Cappella Palooza

Courtesy of Cali Carss
Nothing But Treble dazzled on stage.

Friday, March 22, marked the 2024 A Cappella Palooza, an event that brought together every a cappella group on campus for one night of show-stopping performances at the Jake Nevin Field House. Villanova boasts eight a cappella groups: The Spires, Measure Up, The Sirens, Minor Problem, Nothing But Treble, Vocal Minority, The Haveners and The Supernovas. With each group putting on a performance of about three to four songs, this event was highly anticipated by students, and their expectations were certainly exceeded.

The Spires kicked off the night, introduced hilariously as “Father Peter’s favorite backup singers,” setting the stage for an amazing showcase. This performance, like many put on by The Spires, served as a reminder as to why they are so well-known on campus. With fun choreography and extremely memorable vocals, this group definitely wowed the audience and left the stage triumphantly.

Measure Up took the stage next and gave an absolutely beautiful performance. Their second song, “Golden Child” by Paravi, was especially memorable, as soloist Morgan Bolesta dazzled in her own golden jumpsuit. Measure Up’s performance was incredibly cohesive and showcased the impressive level of talent that A Cappella Palooza is all about.

Third to perform were The Sirens, the first all-female group in the lineup. They embodied the energy of the night with fun choreography and a variety of song choices that allowed them to truly shine. Beginning with “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars, The Sirens put on a memorable performance that had everybody in the room cheering from the moment they stepped onto the stage until they ran off.

The last group to perform in Act One of A Cappella Palooza was Minor Problem. This wonderful set was the perfect way to close out the first half of the show, and Minor Problem could not have looked like they were having more fun. Their last song was especially impactful, with a trio of singers Lauren Leclair, Hayley Wilson and Kaleigh Brendle taking on “If I’m Honest” by Trousdale.

Following a brief intermission, Nothing But Treble took the stage. The standout number from this set was absolutely “Can’t Catch Me Now” by Olivia Rodrigo from the new (and wildly popular) Hunger Games prequel. Soloist Meg Taylor did an incredible job covering Rodrigo’s song, and the rest of Nothing But Treble had her back the entire time with beautiful back-up vocals and clean choreography. Act Two could not have gotten off to a better start.

Next up was Vocal Minority, which gave the audience jaw-dropping vocals throughout their entire performance, never once failing to amaze the crowd. The highlight of this set had to be their rendition of “Don’t Blame Me” by Taylor Swift. The solo was done by Davis Strefling, who had a smile on his face throughout the entire song, and quickly became a crowd favorite. This was the last all-male group to perform, and Vocal Minority certainly left its mark on the audience.

The second-to-last group of A Cappella Palooza was The Haveners. Its members shone brighter than anyone in the room in their sparkling outfits (fitting for the last song of their set). This performance was beautiful, beginning with “Colorado” by Renee Rapp and closing out with “Diamonds” by Rihanna. The solo for “Diamonds” went to Vanessa Rosado, who brought the house down with her consistently powerful vocals.

The final group to perform at the 2024 A Cappella Palooza was The Supernovas. This group put on quite the finale, amazing the crowd with their vocals, choreography and overall talent in every song throughout their set. Mary Fleming had a particularly memorable solo with “Trustfall” by Pink. Her beautiful performance, combined with some of the best choreography of the night, made this part of The Supernovas’ set awe-inspiring. This was the perfect way to conclude A Cappella Palooza.

The talent that was on display throughout the entirety of A Cappella Palooza was undeniable. Each of the eight groups gave its all in fantastic performances that the audience will remember for a long time. This event is one that students simply shouldn’t miss, and everyone who made it to Jake Nevin Field House on Friday night is surely counting the days until next year’s showcase.