What’s In and What’s Out? Villanova Students Share Aspirations for New Year

Emma Cahill/ Villanovan Digital
Word games such as the NYT Connection are “in” in 2024.

With a new year comes many new resolutions to make about how to reinvent one’s life. In this vein, a new trend has emerged on social media to give people a chance to encapsulate how they plan to enter the new year. Commonly referred to as “ins and outs” for 2024, everyone seems to have something unique to add to their list. Villanova students are no exception. Whether it’s a serious goal, a silly resolution among friends or anything in between, Villanovans certainly know just how they want to enter both the new year and the new semester. 

Some of these resolutions are specific to Villanova and are sure to be defended passionately by any student who agrees with them. Freshman Audrey Finneli declared Café Nova’s gelato to be “in,” while the new Holy Grounds in Mendel, which doesn’t take meal swipes as payment, is decidedly “out.” Another “out” felt by many freshmen is returning to another semester of ACS readings. As valuable as the class may be, by the second semester, many students are looking for something new, and Moderns feels somewhat repetitive. Returning to the realm of our dining services, sophomore Emma Spangler has decided that Dougherty Hall (Pit) food is “out” in 2024.

Beyond our campus’s “ins and outs,” a popular “in” has been New York Times word games. Spangler pointed specifically to the relatively new Connections as something she is starting in 2024. She also pointed to rom coms and tote bags as things to bring into the new year. 

Freshman Emma Cote took a more general route with her “ins” for 2024, neatly summed up as not taking yourself so seriously. Regardless of year, this sentiment of embracing the fun is unanimous with seniors like Matt Krase, who declared that saying “no” to going out is, in fact, “out.” Some of the other things Krase decided are “in” were getting eight or more hours of sleep and morning yoga, both of which sound like a dream in the midst of adjusting to busy new schedules. 

Finally, several “outs” that deserve to be highlighted are single-use plastic, overconsumption and products with harmful chemicals. The new year brings the perfect chance to reflect on collective choices and priorities over the last 12 months, and deciding to be more environmentally conscious will never go out of style. These resolutions are things everyone can and should take into 2024. 

Serious or not, this trend of new year “ins and outs” is a fun way to express the energy one hopes to bring into 2024. It can really encompass all facets of life and give people an insight into their personality and priorities, and expressing oneself, even just through a trend, is always “in.”