Nursing professor receives prestigious teaching award

David Saenz

This year’s Lindback Award for Teaching Excellence will be given to Theresa Capriotti, assistant professor of nursing, during the University’s commencement exercises in May.

The award, sponsored by the Christian A. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation, consists of a certificate and a check for $4,000 and is given annually to a full-time professor who has demonstrated teaching excellence.

Earlier this semester, sophomores, juniors and seniors selected the candidates for the award by voting online. According to John Johannes, vice president for Academic Affairs, hundreds of students participated in the voting.

The names of the top eight vote recipients, plus the names of a minimum of two faculty members from each college, were then passed on to the full-time faculty for their vote.

The Lindback Committee, composed of professors Robert Derstine, Rick Eckstein, Russell Gardner, James O’Brien and Burke Ward, examined the credentials of the top five vote-getters. They chose three final candidates, and University President Rev. Edmund Dobbin, O.S.A., selected the award winner from this group.

Johannes was unsure of Dobbin’s criteria for making the selection, but said, “[Fr. Dobbin] takes very seriously the recommendation of the committee. It is always a really tough call because the finalists are always superb teachers.”

The five finalists for the award were Capriotti, Klaus Volpert, associate professor of mathematical sciences, Rev. John Farrell, O.S.A., associate professor of economics, Eduard Casillas, associate professor of chemistry, and Cynthia Glover, professor of sociology.

Capriotti, who has been teaching at the University since 1995, holds many degrees including a bachelor of science in nursing, a doctorate of osteopathic medicine and a master of science in nursing. Capriotti earned her MSN degree from the University.

On top of practicing as both a doctor and a nurse and teaching at the University, Capriotti has also done research on depression in the elderly and collaborative practices in nursing and medical education.

The Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation sponsors awards for teaching excellence at colleges and universities in Delaware and Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Johannes indicated that University has been giving the Lindback Award for over 30 years.

He said, “The Lindback Foundation has been very generous over the years to Villanova and other institutions.”

Johannes also mentioned that next year the University will attempt to link the student voting with registration for the spring semester. He feels that the turnout will be higher if the voting is combined with registration.

At press time, Capriotti could not be reached for comment.