Tennis teams serve up sharp match play over weekend

James Evans

The men’s tennis team continued its solid play on Tuesday, traveling into the heart of Philly and picking up a victory against LaSalle.

The challenge of facing its first Big Five rival of the year turned out to be a cinch, as the ‘Cats breezed past La Salle with a very impressive 9-0 victory. The victory keeps the ‘Cats’ record perfect on the season at 2-0.

The ‘Cats were impressive in singles action, taking all six matches. Four of the six matches were straight set victories for ‘Nova. Once again, the ‘Cats were led by senior Brad Adams at first singles, who had a strong win against his opponent.

Adams didn’t allow his opponent to win a single game, shutting him out 6-0, 6-0.

Seniors Ryan Devine and Andy O’Neill, as well as junior John Toppel, all had very convincing victories, winning in straight sets.

Combined, the three only lost six games, a very impressive stat, considering that combined they won 36. Senior John Goulet and sophomore Lucas Kaster also contributed to the ‘Nova’s dominance, both winning in three sets. Goulet, after faltering in the first set, came back strong in the second and third sets, winning both 6-3.

Kaster started out strong, then failed to win a very well-played second set, but bounced back and won the third.In doubles action, sophomore Aaron Kusza and junior Carl Fenzl paired up to pick up an easy 8-2 victory, while the teams of Toppel and Brendan Mahoney, as well as Goulet and O’Neill hung tough and came up with 8-6 victories.

The men will have the weekend off, but travel to Delaware Oct. 2, to take on the Blue Hens.

Last Tuesday, the women traveled to Newark to take on Delaware and try to rebound from a loss to Fordham. The ‘Cats were successful in their conquest of Delaware and improved to 2-1 on the season.

‘Nova came out strong and finished up strong as the team won eight of its nine matches and made up for its loss from the previous week.

The match did not start out the way the ‘Cats would have liked, as senior Stephanie Ariot opened up with a hard 7-6 loss in her first set and then was dominated in the second 6-1. However, Ariot was picked up by her teammates, who did not lose another match.

Senior Jennifer Zick played a very strong match, where she won a hard first set 7-6. Zick was shut out of the next set, but rebounded nicely and won the third set to take the match. Juniors Jessie Rybacki and Erica Walter, sophomore Courtney Flezzani and freshman Lindsey Puchyr all had straight set victories.

The ‘Cats did not rely on their singles play alone, as the doubles tandems poured it on and swept all of their matches, 3-0. Ariot and Zick were at first doubles and though they won, it was not easy.

Delaware’s first team put up a tough battle, but the ‘Cats came through with a 9-8 victory.

Flezzani and Rybacki paired up and took care of their match with a very convincing 8-2 victory. Walter paired up with sophomore Morgan Flezzani as they also combined for an 8-2 victory.

Women’s head coach Steven Reiniger was very pleased with the team’s effort.

“The second and third doubles team really stood out,” Coach Reiniger said. “Also the play of our fourth, fifth and sixth singles was great.”

The ‘Cats will be back in action next when they face St. Joseph’s on Tuesday.