Bells to toll for Sept. 11 victims

Kathleen Dooley

Hundreds of miles away from the grieving families, the presidential speeches and the skyline that mourns the loss of its twin emblems, the University community will commemorate the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11, in its own unique way. Multiple on-campus organizations have arranged a day of remembrance and reflection in honor of those who lost their lives on that September morning.

“In designing the day, we wanted to make sure there would be various opportunities for everyone who wanted to commemorate it,” Maura McDaid, director of Student Development, said.

Beginning at 8:48 a.m., when the first hijacked airplane struck the first Trade Center tower, bells will toll at various times throughout the morning. The bells will cease at 10:48 a.m., after ringing for a full minute, to mark the collapse of the second tower. According to McDaid, the University will then participate in a moment of silence, in remembrance of the victims.

“This is a time to stop wherever you are and be silent,” she said.

The St. Thomas of Villanova Church will be open all day, and University President Rev. Edmund J. Dobbin, O.S.A., will celebrate daily mass at 12:05 p.m. for the eleven University alumni of the World Trade Center attacks. Biographies of the victims will be displayed around the church and notebooks for each of the victims’ families will be placed around the church. Members of the University community are encouraged to write in those notebooks, which will later be sent to the victims’ families.

At 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Cinema, the CBS documentary “9/11” will showcase the Sept. 11 firefighters.

An academic colloquia will be held at 4 p.m. in the Villanova Room. The colloquia, entitled “A World at Odds: Conscience in a Time of Terror,” will be moderated by Rev. Kail Ellis, O.S.A, dean of Arts and Sciences. University professors from different fields of scholarship will be panelists.

At 5 p.m., ROTC members will lower the flag on Mendel Field. The entire battalion will gather.

The final University-sponsored event on Sept. 11 will be an interfaith prayer service, taking place in the church at 7 p.m. Dobbin, as well as Joyce Zavarich of Campus Ministry, alumnus Christopher Demi ’00 and senior Deborah Rothamel will reflect on the day.

McDaid emphasized that the interfaith prayer service is not a mass, but instead will include reflections and readings from various holy books. “We really want people to understand that the service is for everyone,” she said.

Throughout the day, Dougherty and Connelly Plaza will host various student activities. In addition to a remembrance wall being set up, red, white and blue ribbons will be sold. The proceeds of the ribbon sale will go to the Bryn Mawr Fire Department and the Radnor Police.

Furthermore, students can make their own peace cranes, which are Japanese origami symbols for peace. In the following weeks, the University will send these to a peace memorial in Hiroshima.

Sign up sheets will also be available for those wishing to donate blood or to do community service.