Bryn Mawr cracks down on local parking

Andrea Ford

University students who reside in Bryn Mawr have been warned of changing parking policies, which went into effect Tuesday.

In an effort to improve the parking resources in the area, Lower Merion Township officials, including the Parking Policies Committee, the Board of Commissioners and the Bryn Mawr Stakeholders – the town’s representative body – have introduced new regulations for Bryn Mawr residents.

Previously, residents with permits were only allowed to park on the non-metered, time-limited parking street where they resided. As of this week, residents are permitted to park on any street in the “District,” an area bounded by the railroad tracks to the north, County Line Road to the south, Norwood Avenue to the west, and Elliot and Pennsylvania avenues to the east.

Parking permits, which must be displayed on the rearview mirror of the resident’s vehicle, may be purchased for $20 at the front desk of the Township Public Safety Building in Ardmore. One additional permit for residences with no off-street parking will be available for $5 through the remainder of this year. Existing permits will be exchanged at no cost. Vehicles without permits will be restricted to two-hour parking limits, a policy which will be enforced Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The township is encouraging non-resident parking patrons to take advantage of the municipal permit parking available in various lots around the township and metered parking lots and streets.

A warning period for residents began on August 19. Township police have been posting flyers on violating vehicles explaining the changes. Official enforcement began on Sept. 3, and violators of the new policy are now being penalized with a $15 fine. Based on an extensive study, the new regulations have been implemented as a pilot program that the Lower Merion Police Department will monitor for six months. After this trial period, township officials will decide whether to extend the time period or expand it to other areas of the township.

The University administration hopes to make students aware of the policy changes at their residences to prevent unnecessary problems. Dean of Students Paul Pugh said, “We have many students living in Bryn Mawr and we’d like to get the word out early about these changes.”