Letters to the Editor

‘Nova crew team deserving of better facilities

To the editors:

As a former collegiate rower, I know that there are few feelings better than hitting a flat stretch of water and having a good row. A bad grade on a test or a cold day won’t ruin that feeling, but I imagine the atrocious conditions at Villanova’s boathouse have alone ruined plenty of days for women’s crew.

I rowed for Emory University, and I saw Villanova’s success firsthand. Before reading last week’s article, I imagined that Villanova had a pristine boathouse, similar to boathouses I’ve seen at Georgetown, Radcliffe and Princeton. However, this is not so. There’s no doubt the University would not allow such an unsanitary eyesore on campus. However, it’s apparent the University has taken an out of sight, out of mind approach.

Of course, one could say the women’s crew team could drive its boats to the river every day or row out of a club on Boathouse Row. However, these solutions are impractical and dodge the larger issue. The University must treat some of its most accomplished athletes better than it does. The solution is for the University to formulate an immediate plan to fix the most glaring problems of the current boathouse and a definite timetable, not just plans and promises, for building a new boathouse.

Joe DohertyFirst-year Law Student

Focus on overall off-campus living, not just the Courts

To the editors:

I found last week’s article, “Judgments impose order in the Courts” by Kathleen Noone to be interesting, but I couldn’t help but wonder if there is another issue looming here, perhaps more important than keg parties and under-aged drinking at the Courts. The article stated that, “students have been illegally trying to find ways to fit more than the maximum allowed numbers into the apartments,” and that this issue is one in which Dean Paul Pugh has taken up with the general manager of Marks & Co., the owners of the Bryn Mawr Court.

Unfortunately, this issue is one that not only plagues residents of the Courts, but most off-campus Villanova students. Almost every Villanova student who has tried to look for off-campus housing has heard of the infamous law that prohibits more than two unrelated women from living together, with the logic that a house of women somehow constitutes a brothel.

Though this law may seem like another ridiculous Pennsylvania State law (much like not being able to purchase beer or alcohol in a grocery store) it creates a huge problem for students who must leave campus after junior year to find a house or apartment. Students are either forced to live in apartments far away from campus, or to have two people sign a lease in a house made for four or five, and simply pray that they don’t get evicted.

Rather than focusing attention simply on the Courts, why not speak with the township to see about having this law changed? While we shouldn’t ignore the dangers of underaged students partying off-campus, I think it is more important for the university to show concern with the many students living off-campus who are signed to illegal leases.

Tara HumannClass of 2003

Threats should create awareness at University

To the editors:

“Faggot we are going to beat you until you are six feet under!”

How would you respond if you or your friend was threatened in this way?

On the way home from a University sponsored event, a friend of mine was verbally harassed and his life was threatened simply because he is gay.

While riding in a bus full of his peers, my friend was bombarded with homophobic slanders, which quickly escalated into full-fledged threats. Though only a handful of individuals directly participated in the persecution, the incident was terrifying enough that my friend had to call 911 for assistance and an escort home. The police were not waiting for him as the bus pulled into main lot, forcing my friend to walk from the parking lot to his dorm on main campus as the threats persisted.

Every Villanova student and faculty member should be aware of this incident.

We each must do our part in ending hate crimes and everyday discriminations on and off our campus. Did you know that one out of every 10 people is gay? This includes your professors, teammates, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, classmates, friends, and family members.

I urge people to respond to this letter with future letters to the editor. If you would like to respond anonymously, you can email BGLOV at [email protected].

Nicole SiellerClass of 2004