Students celebrate Big Fat Greek Week

The Greek Awards Banquet is a yearly tradition at Villanova that is designed to honor the contributions of members of Greek Life across campus. It is a place to abandon chapter loyalties and recognize the bigger picture of a united Greek community. Members from different sororities and fraternities sat together last Sunday and shared an afternoon of appreciation for one another. This was a unifying culmination to a week of competition.

The ceremony began with an opening address by Greek Life Scholarship and Recognition Co-Chair Katherine Clay. An address by Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council presidents Meredith Regan and Conor McGill aimed to distill the stereotypes associated with Greek Life and instead applaud Greeks for their outstanding contribution to the Villanova community and the community at large. A blessing from Scholarship and Recognition Co-Chair Annmarie Mangione commenced the meal and awards presentation.

This year’s awards ceremony honored some of the exceptional contributions of Greek chapters throughout the academic year. Recognition was given to the Greek Week Champions for their outstanding accomplishments including physical prowess and unique talents. Awards for Sisterhood and Brotherhood recognized the chapters which developed innovative programming, leading to strong bonds of friendship. Academic excellence was honored with the Scholarship Award. Philanthropic service and monetary donation were recognized among chapters which successfully held events and continually supported charity. The Recruitment Award was given to chapters that had an exceptional recruitment program. Those chapters that best instilled the founding principles in their new members received the award for the best New Member Program.

Besides these traditional awards, this year’s committee expanded the awards to honor chapters for Alumni Relations, Promoting Greek Image and Best Greek Sponsored Event. The Alumni award sought to recognize the hard work that students put in to contact and maintain relationships with elders of the organizations.

Chapters that worked to improve relationships between Greek Life and non-Greek students, the administration and the community were awarded for Promoting Greek Image. The Best Greek Sponsored Event honored the effective planning, running and development of Greek sponsored events. The Most Improved Chapter Award was given to a men’s and women’s chapter that enhanced their programming in all areas.

The famed Chapter of the Year award was presented to a fraternity and sorority chapter that are models of successful Greek organizations. Both Beta Theta Pi and Kappa Kappa Gamma demonstrated excellence in the realms of active participation, successful philanthropy, enthusiastic membership and respect for Greek ideals. Finally the awards for Greek Man and Greek Woman of the Year were given to two individuals whose outstanding contributions to Villanova stretched beyond their involvement with Greek Life. Winners Tom Porac and Carrie Neff exemplify Greek spirit and serve as models to the Greek community.