C&F professor wins Teacher of the Year

Angela Moret

Pins, pens, mugs and flowers have all become familiar sights for University faculty and staff this week as the Student Government Association sponsored the second annual Faculty and Staff Appreciation week.

A major part of the week was the announcement of SGA’s teachers of the year.

Dr. Noah Barsky, an accounting professor in the College of Commerce and Finance, was voted SGA Teacher of the Year.

Dr. James Emig, an accounting professor, was awarded best commerce and finance professor. Dr. Theresa Capriotti was selected for nursing and English professor Dr. Robert Wilkinson for arts and sciences. Howard Fulmer and James O’Brien tied for best ngineering professor.

While the races in Commerce and Finance and Arts and Sciences elections were both close, Capriotti won the Nursing award by an overwhelming majority.

Students voted online through the SGA website between March 10 and March 16. Over 1000 students voted.

An awards ceremony to honor these professors will be held today at 5 p.m. in the President’s Lounge of the Connelly Center.

The event was originally scheduled as a picnic; however, due to inclement weather it was relocated indoors. Because of limited space, attendance will be limited to the award recipients, the deans and associate deans of each college, University President Rev. Edmund J. Dobbin, O.S.A., and University Vice President Dr. Helen Lafferty.

Also as part of Faculty and Staff Appreciation Week, buttons were given to dining services workers and bookstore staff, and pens were distributed to secretaries and the staffs of Falvey Library, Kennedy Hall and Dougherty Hall. Professors received coffee mugs and administrators received flowers.  

“Everything has run smoothly,” sophomore Jaclyn Johns, co-chair for Faculty and Staff Appreciation Week said. However, she said SGA was “very disappointed that they can’t have the picnic and feels stuck because there is not time left this year to reschedule.”

Junior Reagan Kenwell co-chaired the week with Johns. The two began planning November.

“We are very fortunate to have such an amazing faculty and staff,” Kenwell said.

“SGA wanted to designate one week where we are sure to let everyone know how appreciative we are of everything that they have done and continue to do for the students of Villanova.”