Univ. celebrates ordination

Kathleen Noone

The University will welcome the newest member of the Augustinian priesthood when Brother Robert P. Hagan is ordained Saturday in the St. Thomas of Villanova Church.

“I think it’s great that Villanova is gaining the newest ordained priest for the Augustinians,” campus minister Richard Balentine said. “His presence here is another way for Augustinian values to be seen throughout campus.”

According to Balentine, over 500 people are expected to attend the 10 a.m. ordination, with approximately 40 priests in attendance.

“We expect a packed church,” he said.

Rev. Joseph F. Martino, auxiliary bishop of Philadelphia, will preside over the ordination. This will be Martino’s last official action as auxiliary bishop of the city, as he will leave Philadelphia to assume the role of bishop of the Diocese of Scranton next week.

Hagan, who started at the University this semester, has been working as the assistant director of Athletics for Compliance since August. In the past few weeks, Hagan’s work has focused primarily on the athletic department’s legal issues, but following his ordination he will take a more active role in the on-campus daily and weekly Masses.

“Once ordained, he will become one of the presiders at daily Mass,” Balentine said. “By spring, we’re hoping that he will be on our Sunday night presider list.”

Balentine also stated that Hagan hopes to get athletic teams further involved with service work.

Originally from Westwood, N.J., Hagan received his degree from the University in 1987 and went to earn his law degree from Widener University School of Law in 1990. He recently completed his graduate studies in Divinity at Augustinian College, located in Washington, D.C.

Hagan made his first profession to the Augustinian Order in summer of 1999 and made his solemn profession last January.

“I speak for all our friars when I say we are excited to see Rob embark on his ministry in the priesthood,” Rev. Donald F. Reilly, O.S.A., the prior provincial of the Province of St. Thomas of Villanova said.

“He’s an immensely talented man, and his calling to the priesthood and to the Augustinians energizes and invigorates us all.”