Here’s to your health and wellness

Jenny Dwoksin

As you may have noticed, the new health center is looking great these days. But what you may not have noticed is that its services have been renovated as well. There are three branches that make up the center: health services, counseling services and the health and wellness center. The wellness center is often overlooked, though this year the University hopes to change that.

Many students face health-related problems during the four years at Villanova, which is why the third branch of health center was created – to help troubled or curious Villanova students. The experienced staff working for this part of the health center is available to talk with and advise students on issues ranging from fitness, prescription drug usage and eating disorders as well as sexual harassment and stress management.

The center also hosts a smoking cessation program, weekly Alcoholics Anonymous meetings on campus and will be scheduling activities and information sessions during Alcohol Awareness Week this October. The organization hopes to reach students on a personal level by collaborating with RAs to plan in-dorm events.

For the second year in a row, the health and wellness center will be collaborating with Main Line Health to offer smokers on campus a way to kick the habit. The program brings students together, forming a supportive system based on group dynamics. The program is free and available to all students. The program consists of six weekly sessions for students and eight for professors and faculty members. The group meets Mondays and Wednesdays in Room 200 of the health center. The first meeting was held Wednesday, and the program will continue until early October. If you are interested in joining the program, e-mail Jennifer Flannelly at [email protected] or call the center at (610) 519-5963.

Students aren’t required to have a health-related question or be involved with the one of the support groups in order to become involved in the activities of the health and wellness center. The center encourages students to drop by the office with any questions or concerns. Students who feel uncomfortable discussing certain issues with doctors or adult counselors may find it easier to speak with a fellow college student. That’s why the Peer Education program was formed.

This is a student-run organization that strives to educate and advise fellow students on college-targeted issues such as drugs, alcohol, sexual harassment, gender-specific topics, relationships and the like.

Throughout the school year, peer educators make a series of informative presentations on and off campus, reaching out to both college and neighboring high school students.