Paws For Wellness

Jessica Mayer

Who We Are: The Center for Health and Wellness Education and home to P.O.W.E.R. Peer Educators, located in the Health Services Building, First Floor. Website: http://www.villanova.edu/healthandwellness/. Phone: (610) 519-7407.

Our Goal: To provide education and resources on critical college student issues to the campus community.

Mission 3: P.O.W.E.R. Peer Educators

You might be thinking to yourself, who managed to put Yield signs up all around campus? Who actually got a VW Beetle onto West for a barbeque? Who throws a huge party with a DJ in the middle of a Saturday afternoon during orientation? What is this group that really gives freshmen $5 for hanging up a poster? The answer is P.O.W.E.R.

P.O.W.E.R. (Peers Offering Wellness Education and Resources) is a group of students on campus that raises awareness and provides educational opportunities regarding different issues such as alcohol and other drugs and sexual assault.

The group is divided into two smaller groups, P.A.S.S. (Peers Advocating Substance Safety) and S.O.S. (Sexual Offense Support). Both groups participate in programs and events such as P.O.W.E.R. Hour during orientation, National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, Sexual Assault Awareness Week, “Yield to the Facts” campaign, and the Holiday Bazaar.

This semester, the String Game will make its debut to all Freshman Residence Halls, and all of campus will be able to experience events such as Juice the ‘Cuse and Speed Dating.

As we have just recently completed our training of the new peers, P.O.W.E.R. has grown to include 37 active peer educators. The theme of our four day training was Dr. Seuss, and consisted of a combination of social “bonding” events, general training for presentation skills and specialized training for both the P.A.S.S. and S.O.S. groups.

The peer educators accept applications all year round, and formal acceptances into the program occur in the fall of each year. If you are interested in joining our group or arranging a program for your organization, club, or class, contact one of the students listed above or speak with Stacy Andes at the Center for Health and Wellness Education at (610) 519-7407. You can also visit us at www.villanova.edu/healthandwellness.