Group adds charity to mission

Sean L. Wright

The Villanova Ambassadors recently decided to add a philanthropic element to their organization for the first time. They selected the Citizens Advocates, a group that pairs disabled college-aged people with University students in a buddy-type program.

Ambassadors president Mike DiStefano said, “Since it has been a decade [from] when the Ambassadors were founded, I really wanted to start something like this.”

The Ambassadors aid the Admissions Office in answering questions concerning student life and are present at the beginning of all campus tours. Angela Masi, a junior ambassador, said, “When I came to Villanova, it was the ambassadors that made me feel welcome and answered all my questions, and the philanthropy program allows us to give even more back to the school and community.”

Shortly before winter break, the Ambassadors held their annual holiday party where they met and spoke with disabled students from the Citizens Advocates group. During the event, the two groups made holiday ornaments for a hospital in Wynnewood, which were delivered later that week.

DiStefano said that such events like the annual holiday party give the ambassadors a chance to get to know the people of Citizens Advocates and reach out to them personally.

While nothing formal has been planned for this semester, the organization plans to hold a fundraising event for the Citizens Advocates group and may also host disabled students again in something similar to the holiday party.