Swimming, diving teams kick off season

Kyle Scudilla

After spending a week training in Ireland over fall break, Villanova’s swimming and diving teams started off the 2004-2005 season with dual meets against La Salle University.

While the women’s team enjoyed a perfect weekend, the men’s team did not share the same success.

The women cruised to two victories over the Explorers on Friday and Saturday. The Wildcats completed a 143-60 win on Friday at La Salle, only to follow it up with a 148-73 victory on Saturday at the Villanova Swim Center.

Freshman Jesse Radtke was sensational in her collegiate debut.

She finished first in three events over the course of the weekend. Radtke placed first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.43 seconds on Friday but topped that performance with her work on Saturday when she scored her other two victories in the 50-yard free style (24.59) and the 100-yard freestyle (53.34).

Sophomore Annie Kelley was equally as impressive for the ‘Cats, snagging three first-place finishes of her own. Kelley was triumphant in the 200-yard individual medley on Friday with a time over 2:08.00 minutes. On Saturday she came out on top in the 400-yard IM (4:26.56) and the 200-yard butterfly (2:07.65).

Villanova’s women’s divers got into the act, as well.

This effort was led by freshman Tammy Franks, who garnered two second-place finishes, both in the three-meter events held on each day.

The men, however, came up short in their first showing of the season. On Friday La Salle handed the Wildcats a 133-67 defeat, while on Saturday at Villanova, the Explorers posted an even bigger victory by a margin of 158-61.

Nevertheless, it was not all bad news for the men’s team during the weekend as there were strong performances to be found in both the swimming and diving competitions.

Sophomore swimmer Dave Drysdale placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke on Friday, finishing with a time of 1:01.43. Meanwhile, diver Joe Traks led the Wildcats with second-place finishes in the one and three-meter events on both Friday and Saturday.

The Wildcats return to the pool this weekend to take on Big East rival, Connecticut at 1 p.m.