Field hockey team scores big

Juli Walsh

On Tuesday the Wildcats hosted and defeated the LaSalle Explorers, 6-1. The field hockey team’s victory gave head coach Joanie Milhous her 100th career win and ended Villanova’s three game losing streak. The ‘Cats now stand at a 10-7 overall record.

Villanova’s leading scorer, Megan Foster continued her dominating offensive ways and scored less than a minute and a half into the game. Her second goal came off an assist from Rory Rogers.

In addition to Foster, Sarah Francis, who scored her first two goals of the season, freshman Catherine Sommits and sophomore Lauren Campanelli all contributed goals.

After securing a much-needed victory, the Wildcats had another reason to celebrate on Tuesday when senior captain Vanessa Pizzulli was selected to play in the 2004 NFHCA Division 1 North/South Senior-All Star Game. The game will be played on Nov. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at Wake Forest University.

Pizzulli, who plays defensive back, has been a vital part of the Villanova team since her freshman year. This year she has collected five assists, which brings her career total to 29 and places her third overall in Villanova’s record books for assists. During the season, she was also named Big East Player of the Week after capturing three defensive saves and an assist against conference rival Syracuse and nationally-ranked Duke.

“I think it’s great that Vanessa got selected to the senior game. If anyone deserves it, it’s her,” senior co-captain Simone Shcunk said. “She cares so much about the team and gives everything she’s got in every game. I know she will do great because she is a great field hockey player.”

“Vanessa is an awesome person and leader,” freshman Nelson said. “She really reaches out to her teammates and helps them in every aspect of the game.”

Earlier in the week, the Wildcats competed in its last conference game of the season against the Providence Friars at Trinity College.

Unfortunately, their last conference game ended in an unexpected 5-0 loss. This was only the second time this season that the ‘Cats went scoreless in a match.

With the loss, the Wildcats’ Big East tournament hopes now depend on the outcome of the Providence-Connecticut game. If the Friars beat Connecticut, Villanova will not qualify for the tournament; however if the Huskies, who are 4-0 in the Big East, win, the Wildcats will make their fourth consecutive appearance in the Big East tournament. Tonight they play their last game of the regular season against Cornell at 5 p.m.