SGA and band unite basketball fans

Kim McMurray

This basketball season, the Student Government Association, the University band and the Athletic Department are attempting to unify fans with the creation of a new V-shirt.

One side of the shirt will be navy blue with a light blue V, like last year’s shirt from SGA; the other side will be white with “‘Nova Nation” written in navy blue, shaped like the United States map.

The idea behind this double-sided approach is for students to wear the blue side during the first half and then turn the shirts around to the white side during half time.

According to junior Jon Ambrose, executive assistant to SGA, “It’s harder to shoot a basket against a white background.”

Not only does the shirt serve a strategic purpose, but it also aims to unite the student body, which was divided after SGA’s creation of a new blue V-shirt last year.

Prior to that, only the band’s white V-shirt had been sold annually, serving as a fundraiser for the group. Now these three groups hope to recreate a unified front, or “Sea of V,” in order to intimidate opposing teams.

The groups will begin to sell the t-shirts immediately following Thanksgiving break when an order for 3,000 shirts is expected to arrive. The t-shirts will sell for about eight dollars a shirt, but the price is not certain yet.

Most of the profits will be going towards the band since it supports itself completely with fundraising. The Athletic Department does not need to fundraise, and the purpose of the SGA is not to fundraise but to “make student life better,” said Ambrose.

Any money that the SGA does raise is used to subsidize their budget.

Once the band has met its fundraising goal, the profits will be split evenly between the SGA and the band.

The goal is to sell at least 6,000 shirts. “This is the time to finally come together and to sell more and more until every student has one,” said Ambrose. “With this shirt, we want to establish something that will last long after we are gone.”