Now what?

Megan Angelo

10. Get rid of your now-defunct bumper stickers without wrecking your car.If your candidate won, and you keep your sticker on, you’re gloating. If your candidate lost, and you keep your sticker on, you’re getting laughed at. So follow these simple steps from eHow.com that will keep your bumper clean, intact and ready for the banners of 2008 (Bush-Schwarzenegger? Clinton-Obama?) We’ll have to wait and see. 1. Spray the sticker with a lubricant such as WD-40 and try to peel it off. If this doesn’t work, proceed to step 2.2. Soften the adhesive with heat from a blow dryer.3. Start to peel off a corner of the sticker while continuing to apply heat, or gently scrape off the sticker with a rubber spatula or a putty knife with its metal blade wrapped in duct tape. Do not use a razor blade; it can scratch paint and bumpers.4. Wipe the remains of the sticker away with a soft, lint-free rag dampened with rubbing alcohol.5. Buff the bumper or panel with a polishing compound and a fresh coat of wax to complete the job.

9. Stay in the news.Election season inspires lots of people to tune into the news or pick up the morning paper. But let’s face it: most of what we’ve seen and read in the past several months has been about Kerry’s facial injections or Bush’s stops at kiddie lemonade stands. After the election is when the real news will begin again – so, if you thought watching poll percentages fluctuate was interesting, you might just be pleasantly surprised to find yourself even more interested in current events now that the election is over. What are some of the best ways for Villanovans to get their news quickly and thoroughly?1. Pick up a Wall Street Journal in Bartley (free to all students) or subscribe to The New York Times, which you can sign up for and receive at the bookstore.2. Set up an e-mail alerts account with CNN.com. You can set the website to send you a message whenever news on topics you choose (everything from college admissions to Scott Peterson) surfaces.3. Get a news show that fits your schedule and your preferences. For instance, if you’re someone who doesn’t have a spare minute all day and who likes to know the top news fast, try “Countdown with Keith Olbermann,” which airs on MSNBC at midnight.

8. Explore non-traditional careers in politics.We all love politics, and we all hate politicians. But there’s plenty of ways to play the government game without selling your soul. Here are VERGE’s top 10 picks for the best non-campaigning careers in politics.1. Speechwriter 6. Translator2. Reporter or News Anchor 7. Non-profit organization publicist3. Political Analyst 8. Environmental lawyer4. Lobbyist 9. Judge5. Intelligence Analyst 10. Military

7. Get an internship in politics.The University’s internship office can help you learn more about summer-long and semester-long programs in Washington, D.C., or learn about opportunities in your home state for credit or pay. Call x9-4232 to make an appointment.

6. Take up a nonpartisan cause.There’s more to current affairs than what’s going on in the capital or even in the country. If fair trade is important to you, start researching Oxfam. If you’re devoted to world peace, check out Peace One Day. Whether it’s cancer research or animal rights, there’s an issue and an organization for everyone. Think of your Villanova peers as a captive audience and your free time as an advantage. Start educating people and orchestrating efforts.

5. Learn more about what’s local.Fed up with the ordinance that prevents more than three students from living legally together? Disturbed by the suburban sprawl in your hometown? Whether you’re at school or at home, local government is the institution you can have the most effect on as a citizen. Sit in on town meetings, write letters to the editor of your newspaper, or simply pay more attention to local elections. When your officials know you’re keeping an eye on them, they’re much more likely to do what you want.

4. Make voting better.The horror stories are everywhere; many students were disenfranchised this year because of faulty registration processes. If you were one of them, don’t forgive and forget. Make sure you make your concerns known to whatever offices are responsible for the loss of your vote, but also try to learn more about how registration and voting are taken care of there. Ask what you can do next time to make sure this doesn’t happen to you again, and if you’re feeling generous or inspired, ask if you can get a job there making sure it doesn’t happen to other people.

3. Register.Now that things are quiet, it’s a great time to register to vote if you found yourself left out of the election this year. If you’re already registered, help your unregistered friends and younger siblings get their cards. Coalitions like Rock the Vote won’t disappear just because the election’s over, and they can help young people get registered with the fewest complications possible.

2. Join a campus group.With a new term about to begin, both the College Republicans and College Democrats will have lots of new topics to discuss and events to plan. If you’d rather focus on civil rights, watch for e-mails from the new Villanova Civil Liberties Association.

1. Keep your eye on the winner.Regardless of whether you supported him or not, it’s important to watch the winning candidate closely as he tackles terrorism, health care and the economy. With hoopla coverage out of the way, start learning more about the issues on the table. And don’t let the everyman power of this election fade – continue utilizing the internet and don’t let the blogs die.