University to raise funds for tsunami

Jen Woytovich

Winter break is traditionally a time to relax after stressful finals and a time to with friends and family back home.

However, through the latter part of December and into early January, dozens of University students and faculty members planned events and fundraisers to aid the 1.1 million displaced victims of the deadly tsunami that struck southeast Asia.

The Greek community has contributed to this effort; Tri-Delta and Delta Tau Delta have organized Ribbons for Relief. The two chapters will be selling blue ribbons for one dollar inside the Connelly Center until Jan. 28. All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross.

The goal is to raise $300, but volunteers are optimistic that by the conclusion of their project they will surpass this goal.

The Center for Peace and Justice Education is also working hand in hand with Catholic Relief Services to raise money to donate to the cause. CRS is the second largest relief and development agency in the nation.

For the next four weeks all collections during mass at the University will be donated to CRS.

The University has developed a very close relationship with CRS over the past two years. Last semester alone CRS co-sponsored the Desmond Tutu event and also provided expert speakers to participate in the 2004 Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week.

Many students may have received e-mails on how they may volunteer or aid in this cause.

There is very little the average student can do beyond making a donation to organizations like UNICEF, the International Red Cross or Catholic Relief Services.