Events to raise awareness of sexual assaults

Megan Angelo

The Center for Health and Wellness Education, Sexual Offense Support and Student Life will team up to host Sexual Assault Awareness Week next Monday through Friday, Feb. 7 through Feb. 11.

The week of events will feature the renaming of the trail that runs between Main campus and South campus. The trail is currently referred to by many students as the “rape trail.” The week also marks the launch of a new cross-departmental brochure on sexual assault awareness.

“Are You Okay With That?” is the theme of this year’s awareness week. Events will include a sexual assault awareness panel, during which students will have a chance to speak with administrators, faculty and their peers about issues related to sexual assault on college campuses. The panel discussion will be held on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Connelly Cinema.

An exhibit entitled “Empty Place at the Table,” which mourns the loss and celebrates the lives of victims of domestic violence, will be open to students from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday in the Spit.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, students are encouraged to take part in the Clothesline Project, which will allow students to decorate a t-shirt in memory or support of a survivor of sexual assault or domestic violence.

The activity will be held in the Quad all day on Tuesday and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday in St. Mary’s Hall.

“Sex Signals,” a presentation sponsored by Women’s Studies and the Athletics department, will consist of a mix of improvisational comedy and information about dating, sex and relationships on college campuses.

The show will be held at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Villanova Room. Following the presentation, a candlelight vigil, co-sponsored by Alpha Chi Omega, will be held in the Villanova Room.

Throughout the week, representatives will provide information on healthy relationships, free prizes and purple ribbons denoting support for the cause outside the Italian Kitchen in Dougherty from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.