Villanova takes Georgetown marathon

Raynor Denitzio

After the wet weekend weather forced a washout of Saturday’s double header, the Villanova baseball team came back to take two of three from Georgetown this weekend in Maryland.

On Sunday, the ‘Cats split a double header against the Hoyas. In game one, starter Nick Allen pitched his third complete game, leading the Wildcats to a 9-4 win. Allen struck out three, while giving up ten hits to improve his record to 4-1 on the season.

The Wildcats jumped to a 5-0 lead in the early portion of the game. Sophomore Andy Wendle went three for three with a walk and two RBIs to lead the ‘Cats.

In game two, the Hoyas handed Mike Loree his first loss of the season. Loree pitched six strong innings but gave up three runs. The ‘Cats offense was held in check as they could only muster three hits against the Hoyas’ pitchers.

In the third game of the series, the Wildcats battled to take down the Hoyas 4-3 in a 13 inning marathon.

Coming off his no-hitter against UConn, Wildcat’s starter Kevin Mulvey pitched strong, striking out eight and walking two in seven innings, but earned a no decision due to a solid performance by Georgetown starter Eddie Pena.

Mulvey left in the eighth with the game tied 3-3. From there, junior Ted Aust came on to shut down the Hoyas. Aust was perfect for the final five innings to earn the win.

The ‘Cats were playing catch up most of the game. After Georgetown took a 2-0 lead in first, the Wildcats battled back with one run in the second and another in the fifth to tie the game at two. Villanova again found themselves behind, trailing 3-2 in the top of the eight, but tied the score on a sac fly by senior Alan Day.

Pitching took over and the game pressed on into extra-innings. The ‘Cats’ and Hoyas’ bullpens traded zeros as the game remained scoreless until the thirteenth.

After being hit by a pitch, Angelo Petracca reached first in the top of the thirteenth. Petracca scored the eventually winning run on a two-out hit by freshman Derek Shunk. Senior closer Mike Grodecki came on in the bottom of the thirteenth to shut down the Hoyas for his sixth save of the season, recording two strike-outs in his one inning of work.

The Wildcats returned home on Wednesday to face the Coppin State Eagles.

An 11 run fifth inning helped erase a 3-1 deficit and gave Jim Baxter his third win of the season as the ‘Cats cruised to a 12-5 victory.

Junior Darren Griffith lifted the Wildcats with two hits and three RBIs. Freshmen Ryan Arcadia and Derek Shunk each added two RBIs to add to the offensive explosion.

Baxter scattered six hits in his five innings of work, while Frank Jankowski and Ryan Wendler were also strong in relief.

The Wildcats next take on Big East rival Seton Hall this weekend in a three game set at the Villanova ballpark in Plymouth Meeting.