Honor society inducts six human services majors

Elizabeth Martin

January 29, 2006 marked the third annual Alpha Delta Omega Honor Society induction for Villanova University’s Human Services majors.

This year, six new inductees were recognized at this ceremony for their academic achievements, commitment to community service and personal dedication to helping the lives of others.

As new members of this society, the inductees will have the chance to join other members of the Organization of Human Services (OHS) as well as other students in several community oriented events.

The 2nd Mile Friend Program is one such opportunity students may take in an effort to touch the lives of children in the nearby area.

With monthly events held on campus, students are “buddied up” with a child with whom they are to act as positive role models.

Through different themed events and special activities in each of the themed events, each “college friend” can develop a one-on-one relationship with his/her buddy and develop stronger bonds.

It is thoroughly encouraged, and common, for buddies to keep in touch between the various events through either the telephone or through the mail.

It is the intention that students will be able to touch the lives of these children by establishing dependable and healthy relationships.

Among other events in which Alpha Delta Omega members participate is that of the annual Korean Holiday Toy Drive held each December.

This year its members, along with OHS members, reached out not only to the Villanova campus community, but off campus as well, hitting an all-time record in collected supplies.

Just under $500 worth of different items were collected, including baby supplies along with other items to be donated to foster mothers through the efforts of the Korean Orphanage.

Before Christmas, these items were sent to Love the Children, a non-profit organization, and from there shipped to Korea.

Through the efforts of its executive board, honor society members and OHS participants, OHS is anticipating a great semester of events.

For more information on how to become involved in these activities or becoming a Human Services major or minor, please visit the department of education and human services in SAC 302.