Facebook profiles reveal too much information

Lauren Curmi

The Facebook has become a forbidden pleasure and a great distraction for many college students, who feel safe to freely express themselves on the site with their personal profiles and pictures. It seems like a safe environment, only accessible to other college students. However, there has been a new trend arising: the use of the Facebook by the police, school public safety and possibly by future employers. This poses a problem for many students who proudly put on display their most intoxicated moments during their college careers.

The Facebook was founded in February 2004 and began at Harvard University. The popularity of the site grew and soon was brought on board at such schools as Stanford, Columbia and UC Berkley. Answers.com states that by October 2005 the site had expanded to international universities as well as community colleges and boasted over 1,530 institutions and over four million students.

The site features personal profiles, pictures, groups, and students have the ability to send messages and advertise. Up until now students have placed pictures of themselves doing a whole slew of activities, which are not something one would want future employers to see. To make matters worse, the police and colleges’ public safety officers have entered the site in search of drug and alcohol abuse.

At Penn State in October 2005 the police were able to find out exactly which students had rushed the football field after a huge game against Ohio State using the Facebook. Now, these students are charged with criminal trespassing. In November 2005, four Northern Kentucky University students were fined for violating their dry campus policy. These recent cases have left students angry and confused. There is a debate regarding the use of the site by non-university students as an investigative tool. Also, alumni have been thrown into the mix and can access profiles, for instance prior to considering someone for an interview.

Therefore, it is important to portray yourself in the best light possible, even on such college sites as Facebook.