Student selected for prestigious internship at Georgetown

Alessandro Roco

Amidst an ultra-competitive applicant pool for the Institute for Responsible Citizenship, Villanova’s Jay Finch was selected as one of twelve young men to participate in its summer internship program in Washington, DC.

He was chosen from over one hundred applicants from universities all over the country to be part of the fourth class of the Institute.

Finch is a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and a Boys Hope Girls Hope Scholar, and is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in the University’s Honors Program.

His campus activities include being the Founder and President of the Villanova Debate Society, Communication Director for the Black Cultural Society, Student Chief of Operations at the National Hispanic Institute, as well as being an Assistant at the Center for Responsible Leadership and Governance.

The Institute for Responsible Citizenship admits twelve exceptional minority male students each year for its two-summer, eight-week program at Georgetown University.

During the first summer, students take courses on campus while interning in the D.C. Metro area. For those placed in unpaid internships there is a $2500 stipend, which can be used to cover the cost of travel and food.

During the second summer, students work full-time and act as mentors to the twelve newly admitted young men. Students live on campus in university housing provided by the Institute during the program.

When not at work or in class, students are treated to intimate meetings with high-level government officials, which in past years have included Supreme Court Justices, the Secretary of State, U.S. Senators, U.S. Congressmen and business leaders.

For more information on the Institute for Responsible Citizenship visit www.i4rc.org. Details about the other 11 young men selected for this year’s Institute can be found at www.i4rc.org/2006.html.