Acts announced for Novafest weekend

Alessandro Roco

Since the beginning of the semester, almost every student has the last weekend in April marked for the annual Novafest, signifying the year’s end.

For weeks now, many have speculated about the official acts for this year’s Novafest. Most recently, rumors have flown about Third Eye Blind performing as the headline band for the Saturday night performance.

Though the Third Eye Blind posted information about playing Novafest on their official website, Kristina Kopach, assistant director of student development for programing, said, “No contracts had been finalized, and it was very premature of the band to post it up on their website before everything was settled. There could very well be legal consequences.”

Early yesterday, however, it was confirmed that Third Eye Blind agreed to the terms of the contract drawn up by Novafest and would play the Saturday night concert.

“I feel so relieved that they’ve finally decided to confirm,” Brandy Jericho, assistant director of student development for media programs said. “It’s such a hard process to go through such things as making sure the band we select is received well by students and making sure that both schedules fit.”

On Friday, April 28, the Campus Activities Team (CAT) entertainment branch will sponsor the annual comedy show. Comedians booked for the 8 p.m. show will include Gary Owen, who is a regular on Black Entertainment Television (BET) and who is currently working with the Wayans brothers for a new movie, as well as a new television show.

Owen will be the opening act for the nationally-known cast from VH1’s “Best Week Ever,” a television show that features several comedians who discuss scenes from the past week’s newscasts, pop culture, celebrity gossip and current events. Their act will feature video and audio elements, as well as audience interaction.Though it is certain that cast members from “Best Week Ever” will appear for the show, the final list of comedians has not yet been finalized.The comedy show will be held in the Pavilion, with doors opening at 7 p.m. and tickets going for $10 for students with ID and $15 for people without student ID. Students can purchase tickets in 108 Dougherty Hall.

On Saturday, April 29, the Novafest Spring Festival will be presented by the Novafest committee. The theme for the festival is Mardi Gras and will be held on either Sheehan Beach or the Jake Nevin Fieldhouse, depending on weather conditions, from 12-4 p.m. Entertainment will be provided by Villanova’s own DJ AJ, as well as by the band Almost Green and another band that has yet to be announced. The carnival-style festival will feature several games and prize booths, as well as inflatable gaming areas such as laser tag and sumo wrestling.

Finally, on Saturday night, Thornbird will be the opening act for Third Eye Blind at the Pavilion. The concert, presented by CAT music, is scheduled to start at 9:30 p.m., with doors opening at 8:30 p.m. Tickets will be $15 with student ID and $20 for those without student ID and can also be purchased in 108 Dougherty Hall.

Before forming Thornbird, each member had played in some of Los Angeles’ top rated unsigned bands. As a band, their song “So Beautiful” was featured on NBC’s television show, “Providence.”

The band is currently touring around the nation, performing in various colleges and universities, clubs, bars, coffeehouses and other hot spots, with no label support, distribution deals or any sort of representation.