University prepares inaugural celebration

Jim Barry

As is university tradition, members of the administration are planning a week long celebration for the students, faculty, staff and alumni in September in honor of the University’s 32nd President, Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A.

Donohue is currently known by the students as the chairman of the theater department, and beginning in June he will assume the University’s presidential duties.

In addition to the actual Installation Ceremony, the week-long celebration will include a faculty/staff reception, an academic symposium, inaugural liturgy and community day of service. One event is the Student Inaugural Ball, which will be held on Wednesday, September 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Pavilion.

The Student Inaugural Ball will feature appetizers, live entertainment and the introduction of Villanova’s 32nd President.

The event is an opportunity to bring the students and the President together for a night of fun to kick off the upcoming semester. A student-led committee has been assembled to plan the ball and has been working hard to ensure a successful event.

Tickets to the ball will be made available on a first come-first serve basis online, through the University’s email system.

In a few short weeks, students will be invited to register for tickets to the event. The committee recommends a prompt response to their upcoming ticket inquiry; event attendance is expected to be very high. The dress code is semi-formal, and students of all class years will be invited to attend.

The ball committee will utilize professional designers, caterers and a live band in order to transform the Pavilion into a venue worthy of the biggest celebration of the year. The decorations will give the Pavilion a luxurious atmosphere through the use of drapery, lighting and floral arrangements.

The ball will offer a special menu of delicious food and the feast is being likened to the annual St. Thomas of Villanova Day celebration. The live entertainment will feature a seven- piece ensemble playing classics and today’s hits.