Summer gives University a new look

Ashley R. Lynam

As the beginning of the school year starts, students come back to an environment that is different than from when they left in May. Here are some of the biggest newsmaking stories of the summer.

1. Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A takes over as University president

The University named the Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A., as its 32nd president. Donohue has been with the University for 14 years as a tenured professor and as chairperson for the Villanova Theatre Department.

Donohue has won several directing awards. His talent for leadership and management will now reach beyond the theatre department to the University as a whole.

Donohue said his transition into the president’s office was going “very well because of the helpful, supportive people around me, eager to show me the way.”

He said he is seeing a different side of the University from the president’s chair, and as he settles into the position he is finding new ways to improve and enrich the institution. He plans to leave his mark as president by addressing several issues, ranging from an increased emphasis on academics, to housing issues, to the possible building of a new performing arts center.

Donohue’s inauguration will be held next Friday. The inauguration will begin at 3 p.m. in the Pavilion, followed by a dinner and festival celebration on Mendel Field at 5 p.m.

For more information on the full list of inauguration events, including the Student Inauguration Ball, see www.villanova.edu.

2. College of Commerce and Finance becomes School of Business

On June 6, Villanova renamed the College of Commerce and Finance to the Villanova School of Business.

This announcement came after a period of unprecedented national attention as BusinessWeek Magazine ranked Villanova’s business school as number 19 overall in the country.

Dean James Danko has worked hard for national recognition. Danko came to Villanova in 2005 from Dartmouth. Since then he has worked aggressively “to get into the league of big-name business schools.”

Danko said “College of Commerce and Finance resonated as antiquated and narrowly focused.” After surveying staff, faculty, students and corporate recruiters about a possible name change, Danko found that over 90 percent of those polled were in favor of the name change.

3. Three men’s basketball stars signed by NBA teams, two in the first round

This June, Villanova Wildcats Randy Foye and Kyle Lowry were recognized for their extraordinary season by becoming the first Wildcats since 1997 to be drafted in the NBA’s first round picks.

Foye will start his career as a professional basketball player in Minneapolis.

He was selected seventh overall by the Boston Celtics, who had an arranged deal prior to the draft to send his rights to Portland.

The Blazers then traded Foye to the Minnesota Timberwolves for their first-round pick, Brandon Roy.

Lowry was drafted as No. 24 overall in the first-round to play for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Lowry forfeited his rights to return to Villanova’s basketball team once he entered the draft at the end of his sophomore year, and his decision paid off.

“I’m proud of Randy and Kyle and very happy for them,” Coach Jay Wright said. “Villanova basketball has been a big part of the NBA, going back to the days of Paul Arizin. It’s great to see that tradition continue.”

Allan Ray became the third Wildcat to join the NBA this season. The Boston Celtics signed Ray as a free-agent in early July.

4. New York Mets take junior Kevin Mulvey as second round pick

After forfeiting their first round pick to the Phillies as compensation for a free-agent signing, the New York Mets made Villanova history when they drafted starting pitcher Kevin Mulvey. Mulvey became the first Wildcat to be chosen as a first pick in the amateur draft.

Omar Minaya, general manager of the Mets, said, “We are very happy to be able to select Kevin Mulvey with our first pick in the draft…[we] kept an eye on him all spring.”

In a teleconference with the Mets, Mulvey said, “I knew I had a chance to get drafted out of high school, but it was a decision I made with my family that I needed to get an education and to mature physically and mentally. With the help of my coaches at Villanova, I think I am a lot better off now. I am a little bit bigger, stronger and smarter, and throw harder than I did coming out of high school.”