Introducing Christopher Bellotti

Chris Bellotti

The Yankees are better than the Red Sox. The United States is the greatest country in the world. Villanova University is among a select few truly special schools in the nation. Shakira is better than Jessica Simpson and Kelly Clarkson. War and capital punishment are necessary in today’s day and age even though they are completely unfortunate. “V for Vendetta” is the best movie of 2006. Regarding laws, the United States is currently backwards on the issues of abortion and gay marriage. Techno is the most underrated music genre in America. Voicing an opinion in any way, shape or form is one of the most important things a person can do.

For some, the above statements might look like a bunch of words written by a guy with a big enough ego to pollute the school newspaper with his own opinions. For others, they may have either validated personal beliefs or caused loathsome discomfort. No matter the reaction, it is the reason you are still reading. Words have power. To quote “V for Vendetta,” “Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who listen, the annunciation of truth.”

If I know anything absolute about truth, it is that truth is relative. There are very few other absolutes in this world, and I’d prefer to let Saint Augustine handle them. As far as I am concerned, I know that there is more than one side to every argument, and I certainly understand that most opinions are based on acquired knowledge and experience. An opinion is a good thing for a number of different reasons-the most important being that it is a person’s idea of the truth.

What we are most curious about is who the opinionist is and what intent that person has. But, if we focus instead on what that person is actually saying, we would be better off. In the end, that person is using the common bond we all share (words, ideas, language, etc.) to make you think about what is true for you, regardless of his or her intent. And that truth, your personal integrity, is of utmost importance because it makes and means something to you.

However, if you want to know my intent, I’ll tell you that my opinions have no selfishness whatsoever. When it comes to politics and issues of higher importance, I want what is just and righteous for any community of which I am a part.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Christopher Bellotti, and I will now be a regular contributing columnist to the Villanovan.

Last year, I had a very limited commitment to the Villanova Times, but I realized this year that the reason I did not commit fully was because I wanted to write for the school newspaper. Now I will be throwing my opinions out there in the Villanovan. Feel free to contact me personally or through the paper.

Never fear voicing your opinions. We are all human, and no opinion is more important than another. When you hold back, you aren’t being honest, and the most valuable thing you can give to society is your honesty.

As for me, next week, I’ll move away from the elusiveness of relativity and swing to another one of my opinions.

After all, as far as I am concerned, everything I said is the truth.

Until then, speak up, Villanova. Have a great week.