Today is…

Justin DiBiase

Oct. 20, 2006Every season, many so-called “experts” attempt to predict the results of a given season, and I am going to throw my name into the pot. I did not particularly use reason for my predictions for this season’s highlights. As most fans know, reason never really works when it comes to college basketball (George Mason). I mostly relied on the dreams I have had in the past month and my imagination. In college basketball, anything can happen.

Nov. 11, 2006’Nova Nation is stunned as Villanova drops its first game of the season to first-year Division I program Northwood with a score of 67-65. Northwood coach Rollie Massimino seems to know all of Villanova’s offensive and defensive sets.

Nov. 17, 2006Villanova starts its season 0-2 after losing 70-67 to the College of Charleston at the Paradise Jam in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The ‘Cats only field a six-man rotation as several players sit due to what is being called “extreme sunburn” after lying on the beach all day.

Nov. 25, 2006The team returns to campus 2-2 for their home opener against the Navy Midshipmen. Villanova easily wins 80-54. At halftime, former player Chris Charles gives ‘Nova Nation a preview performance of his soon-to-be-released album titled “It ain’t easy being 7 (feet).”

Dec. 2, 2006Walk-on Mendel Doug is suspended indefinitely after striking a referee with his light saber during mop-up minutes in an 80-67 Villanova win against Penn in the Palestra.

Dec. 3, 2006Hoards of students follow the ‘Nova basketball team to Philadelphia to watch Randy Foye’s homecoming at the Wachovia Center as his Timberwolves beat the Sixers.

Dec. 5, 2006Originally intending to play for Oklahoma, freshman Scottie Reynolds, now a Wildcat, torches the Sooners with 24 points, including a 3-point buzzer-beater. This secured a 70-68 win for the ‘Cats.

Dec. 6, 2006Reynolds twists his ankle while celebrating his big performance against the Sooners with a rendition of the “Chicken Noodle Soup” dance.

Dec. 10, 2006After realizing at Hoops Mania how gangsta Villanova truly is, 50 Cent and Tony Yayo enroll at Villanova University as full-time students. The two men become managers for the basketball team, and Yayo provides the team with new warm-up outfits: orange hoodies.

Dec. 30, 2006Mike Nardi, Scottie Reynolds, Reggie Redding and Bilal Benn combine for 18 3-pointers in a home blowout against Temple 84-59. The win is the Wildcats’ 10th in a row, boosting their record to 10-2.

Jan. 10, 2007Jay Wright signs an endorsement deal with Armani. Wright will model a new line of sports jackets titled “The Wright Collection.”

Jan. 20, 2007Dante Cunningham holds Texas freshman sensation Kevin Durant to only three points, but the Wildcats’ poor shooting contributes to a 62-56 loss to the Longhorns.

Feb. 6, 2007During a timeout in the 2007 Holy War against Saint Joe’s, the Hawk trips while running and breaks his arm. The Hawk is unable to flap his wings, and Villanova fans chant, “The hawk is dead! The hawk is dead!”

Feb. 17, 2007For the second straight year, Villanova knocks off a No. 1-ranked team at the Wachovia Center, defeating bitter rival Georgetown 78-74 behind Curtis Sumpter’s amazing game. To the dismay of the Wachovia Center security guards, the student section once again rushes the court and creates another unforgettable memory.

Feb. 21, 2007Jay Wright hosts a special on the Style Network in which he counts down the best- and worst-dressed coaches in sports. Wright’s worst-dressed list includes Connecticut’s Jim Calhoun, Temple’s Fran Dunphy and Saint Joseph’s Phil Martelli.

Mar. 3, 2007Villanova falls to Syracuse 74-70 in the final game of the season. The ‘Cats finish the regular season with a 16-14 record.

Mar. 10, 2007Villanova defeats Marquette 80-69 to win the Big East Tournament Championship. Froshie Reggie Redding is named tournament MVP after averaging 15 points and 5.0 assists per game.

Mar. 16, 2007In an eerie outcome, No. 8 seed Villanova defeats the No. 9 seed Dayton Flyers 51-49 in the first round of the tournament. The seeding, opponent and outcome is exactly the same as Villanova’s first win in the legendary 1985 championship run.

Apr. 2, 2007The Villanova Wildcats battle the Florida Gators in the National Championship in the Georgia Dome. Gator Joakim Noah is ejected early as he picks up his second technical foul of the game for “making a face” at an official. Villanova wins on a tip-in at the buzzer.

Apr. 3, 2007All classes are cancelled for the day, and the Villanova community has the biggest celebration in the history of the University. 50 Cent and Tony Yayo perform.

Apr. 4, 2007Two days after Villanova’s National Championship victory, the referee who ejected Noah apologizes. He claims that he did not know that the angry face was Noah’s natural look.