Heading down the home stretch

Meghan Kenny

With campus still resembling a frozen tundra and temperatures dipping way below acceptable levels, it’s hard to believe we seniors will be departing from Villanova in just a few short months with diplomas in hand. Four years have flown by, and we now find ourselves in the proverbial home stretch. May is nipping at our heels, and ‘Nova’s class of 2007 is making the most of its final – and finest – hour.The G-word (dare I say it) is right around the corner, and, for many seniors including myself, the transition to graduate-hood won’t be easy. We’ll soon be exchanging our “going out” shirts for more suitable, well, suits. We’ll move out of our cozy Main Line abodes and either shack up with mom and dad or begin paying our own rent (Ahh!). Soon papers and tests will be a mere memory and our WildCards won’t seem quite so wild.For many of us, the thought of life after college is a daunting one. After all, we’ve been nestled in this comfy cocoon of friends and fun (with the occasional academic interruption) for years now. “It’s an interesting time,” senior finance major Kyle Bevilacqua says. “You essentially had four years to try everything that will help establish the rest of your life … to live, for the most part, exactly how you want to without repercussions.”Now that those years are drawing to a close, reality inevitably sets in, and it can be just plain scary.”I’m applying for real jobs, and I drink black coffee,” senior chemical engineering major Bryan Piano says. “God, I’m turning into my dad!” Except for those accounting majors, who have probably had jobs lined up since mid-sophomore year, the question, “What are you doing after graduation?” tends to induce severe nausea. If you’ve ever wanted to punch your own grandma for nagging you about your future plans, you’re probably not alone. “Nobody really warns you that this is such a crazy time,” says senior English and communication double major Lindsey Martin. “We are expected to decide where we want to live, what we want to do, and all while still trying to keep up with our school work and squeezing every social opportunity we can into this last semester.” But there’s a silver lining to this cloud, my fellow seniors: the best is yet to come! There’s so much to look forward to as our final year as Wildcats comes to a close. In fact, just two short weeks stand between us and the unspeakable debauchery known as spring break, and scores of seniors are gearing up for some serious sunshine and irresponsible behavior.Next week, we’ll all crowd into the Pavilion as a class to watch our beloved ‘Cats play one more time. St. Patrick’s Day, Greek Week and NovaFest still lie ahead, and Senior Week promises one last hurrah. While many seniors feel ambivalent at best about leaving our alma mater behind, most agree that the important thing is to get the most out of the time we have left.”I want to enjoy these days for what they are and try to do as much as possible,” Bevilacqua says. “I think if you focus too much on the fact that it is ending you’ll lose out on the fun that is happening right now.” This seems to be the popular sentiment among ’07-ers, a number of whom seem to have come down with an aggressive case of senioritis, also known as “I’m-sorry-but-I-just-don’t-care-anymore” syndrome. Seniors are rallying to spend optimal time with friends and churning out memories like it’s going out of style. Senior communication major Claudia Piazza agrees. “I definitely just want to live it up for the next four months,” she says. “I want to be with friends, go out during the week even though I know I shouldn’t and just feel like I left ‘Nova with a ton of amazing experiences.”So as the semester winds down, expect quite a ride. In the next few months you’ll discover that you’ve somehow accumulated more Maloney’s mugs than you can shake a stick at. You’ll find pictures dating all the way back to freshman year, and you’ll smile about how dorky you were then and how cool you are now. And if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably cry close to 300 times between now and commencement. As we approach the big day, we must each ask ourselves, “Were these the best four years of my life?” If they were, keep up the good work. If not, you’ve got 86 days, 20-something Mug Nights, 10 Happy Hours and 1,600 of your closest friends with which to make it happen.