Season Recap: Women’s Basketball

Michael Zipf

During the ’06-’07 season, the women’s basketball team faced many of the challenges that a young and inexperienced team endures. The team finished the season with an overall record of 8-21 and missed the Big East tournament for the first time in a decade. The Wildcats finished 2-14 in Big East play; however, they nearly pulled upsets over Top 20-ranked teams Marquette and Louisville. Starting two red-shirt freshmen and having only one senior in their regular rotation, the Wildcats faced many up-and-down moments during the season.

Many of the underclassmen, such as sophomore Lisa Karcic, who was the team’s third leading scorer, provided great sparks for the Wildcats. Red-shirt freshmen Tia Grant and Maria Getty also provided solid contributions in their first season as starters to give the Wildcats a solid backcourt attack. The frontcourt was led by senior co-captain Jackie Adamschick, who led the team in scoring and rebounds with 13.1 points and eight rebounds per game. Fellow co-captain junior Stacie Witman also provided the Wildcats with another scorer and solid rebounder, leading the Wildcats in scoring during Big East play with 13.9 points per game.

Although the Wildcats finished with a mediocre record, there were several bright spots during the season. On senior night, the Wildcats, led by Karcic’s 29 points and Adamschick’s nine rebounds, captured a 66-47 victory over Big East opponent Providence to end the season on a high note. In addition, three Wildcats received Big Five honors with Adamschick earning first team honors. In addition, Karcic was named Second-Team All-Philadelphia Big Five Performer, and sophomore guard Siobhan O’Connor received Big Five All-Team academic honors. With the nucleus of the team returning next season, the Wildcats hope to rebound from this year and return to the Big East and NCAA tournaments.