Rev. Shannon dies at 96

The Augustinians of the Province of Saint Thomas of?Villanova reported that Rev. Joseph L. Shannon, O.S.A.,?passed away on Aug. 21 at the Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery?on the campus of Villanova University. He was 96.

Shannon was born on Jan. 8, 1911, in?Brookville, Pa., the son of Leonard B. and Marie C. Shannon. He had four brothers and five sisters.????

Shannon was baptized on Jan. 8, 1911, at Immaculate Conception?Catholic Church in Brookville, Pa.

He attended Immaculate Conception?Parochial School from 1917-1925 and then attended Saint Vincent?Prep School in Latrobe, Pa. for three years.

He completed his last year of?high school at Augustinian Academy in Staten Island, N.Y., as a postulant.????

He entered the Order as a novice at Good Counsel Novitiate in New?Hamburg, N.Y., on Sept. 10, 1929.

He professed his simple vows on?Sept. 11, 1930, and solemn vows on Sept. 11, 1933.

Following?the novitiate, he attended Villanova College, receiving a B.A. in philosophy.

In 1934, he went to Rome,?resided at the Order’s St. Monica International College and studied?at the Gregorian University where he received a doctorate in sacred?theology in 1940.

He was ordained in Rome at the Church of the Twelve?Apostles by Bishop Lucas Pasetto, O.F.M. Cap., on July 25, 1937.????

Shannon returned to the United States in 1940, and after a summer?assignment to St. Rita’s Church in Philadelphia, he was assigned to?Augustinian College in Washington, D.C., as Sub-Master and professor of?theology.????

From 1943 to 1946, after receiving training at the Harvard Chaplain?School, he served as a U.S. Army chaplain at various sites in the United States;?on-board ship from California to Calcutta, India via Australia;?and then at the U.S. Air Force Headquarters in Hoogly, India.????

Honorably discharged as a major, he returned to Augustinian College as a professor.

From 1947 to 1948, he was professor of moral?theology at St. Monica International College and from 1948 to?1959, he was a professor at Augustinian College.

From 1959 to 1965, he was named prior of the?community.????

After returning to the United States, Shannon became pastor of Assumption BVM Parish in?Lawrence, Mass. from 1965 to 1968.

From 1968 to 1973, he served as pastor at St.?Laurence O’Toole Parish in Lawrence, Mass. From 1973 to 1978, he served as?prior and pastor at St. Joseph’s Parish in Greenwich, N.Y. and was in?residence there until 1979.

From 1979 to 1981, Shannon did his residence at?Good Counsel Novitiate in New Hamburg, N.Y., after the novitiate was?relocated to another site.????

In 1981, Shannon came to reside at the Saint Thomas Monastery.????

Throughout his life, Shannon was an avid student of theology, a?researcher and writer of history, especially of the province, and he?served as the province archivist from 1982 to 1986.????

“Shannon was truly a?dedicated priest and devout friar, and the Augustinian family will?miss him dearly,” said Rev. Donald F. Reilly, O.S.A., prior provincial of the?Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova:

A mass of Christian burial was held Saturday at the Saint Thomas of Monastery Chapel.