Sports Roundup: Track star excels at prelim

Kate McAvey

By Jamie Augustinsky, Corey Marine and Kate McAvey

Staff Reporters

Senior Bobby Curtis continued his strong season, placing second at the Pre-NCAA meet at Terre Haute, Ind., on Oct. 13. He finished the 8K race with a time of 14:34, nine seconds behind race winner Lopez Lomong of Northern Arizona.

Head Coach Marcus O’Sullivan is confident in regards to his runner.

“Bobby is running great right now,” O’Sullivan said. “He is on pace to have a terrific rest of the season.”

However, despite Curtis’ outstanding placement, the rest of the team struggled and finished 17th.

After the race, O’Sullivan remained optimistic.

“Although we finished 17th, we are still right where we need to be as a team as we close in on the remainder of the season,” O’Sullivan said.

The team participated in the JV Invitational on Monday before preparing themselves for arguably the highlight of the team’s season. The men’s and women’s teams will be competing in the Big East Championship. The meet will take place on Saturday and be held in Louisville, Ky.

Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving: Women’s squad picks up early season wins vs. Seton Hall, La Salle

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed against Seton Hall University and La Salle University on Saturday in Philadelphia. The women’s team picked up wins against both schools, defeating Seton Hall 102-38 and La Salle 88-52, while the men were defeated twice by a score of 103-37 against Seton Hall and 110-37 against La Salle. Two members of the women’s team, senior Jesse Radtke and sophomore Sarah Czar, picked up three victories each, and junior Lindsay Davis was victorious in both the one meter and three meter diving events. On the men’s side, freshman David Reynolds won the one meter diving event while senior Mike Hanne took first in the three meter dive. Next up, both teams will host the University of Connecticut on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Men’s Tennis: Drosick advances to singles finals at Hampton Road’s Collegiate Invitational

Freshman John Drosick had a strong showing at the Hampton Road’s Collegiate Tennis Invitation of Newport News at the Old Dominion University Tennis Complex in Norfolk, Va. He advanced to the men’s D singles flight finals before having to bow to his opponent.

Sophomore Alex Leeser also had a strong showing, reaching the semi-finals in both men’s C singles flight and double-flight C. He fell short in singles by a score of 1-6. 2-6. He advanced to the semis of the doubles event with the help of freshman David Shaheen, but the two could not seal a spot in the finals.

Rowing: Wildcats earn spot in next year’s Head of Charles in Boston

The Wildcats rowed their way to success this weekend as they competed in both Club Four and Club Eight races. Their impressive finish guaranteed them a spot in next season’s competition. The women competed in one the most prestigious rowing matches, the Head of Charles, which took place in Boston, Mass.

The Eights team took fifth place out of 52 while the Fours finished just as remarkably, placing 10th out of a field of 32 opponents. These impressive finishes are what earned the girls the spot in next year’s race.

The team is set to put their oars in the water in a local competition on Oct. 27 in the Schuylkill in Philadelphia.