Swimming & Diving: Men, women both top Georgetown

Jamie Augustinsky

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams traveled to Georgetown to compete in a Big East matchup on Saturday. The men picked up their first win of the season by defeating the Hoyas 140-100, while the women won all but one event in their 148-89 victory.

On the men’s side, senior leadership played a key role in the win. Senior captain Joey Mechak earned three individual victories by taking first place in the 200-meter freestyle, 200-meter butterfly and 500-meter freestyle events, while senior diver Mike Hanne won both diving events in the competition. Also swimming to first-place finishes were sophomore AJ Mak, who won the 1,000-meter freestyle; sophomore Sean Whipkey, who was victorious in the 50-meter freestyle; and junior John Schaefer, who earned first place in the 100-meter freestyle. Finishing the winning effort was the 400-meter freestyle relay team of Mak, senior Zach Rambo, Schaeffer and Whipkey, which took home first place in the final event of the competition.

The women picked up their sixth-straight dual-meet victory of the season, and two team members had a record-setting day. Sophomore Sarah Czar swam the 100-meter freestyle in a time of 52.59, breaking the previous pool record of 53.22 set by Catherine Dale of St. Francis (NY) in 2002. Czar also earned a first-place finish in the 200-meter freestyle. Junior Kerri McIlvain set a pool record for the 200-meter breaststroke by swimming a time of 2:21.11, over four seconds better than the previous record. The Villanova women won all but one event in which they competed, getting wins from freshman Astrid Armgarth in the 1,000-meter freestyle, sophomore Kristine Drysdale in the 500-meter freestyle, senior Caitlin Regan in the 200-meter IM, freshman Liz Stetson in the 200-meter butterfly, senior Tiffany Brown in the 200-meter backstroke and Jesse Radtke in the 50-meter freestyle. Lindsay Davis won her 1-meter diving event, while the 400-meter medley relay team of Brown, McIlvain, Radtke and Stetson and the 400-meter freestyle relay team of Armgarth, Brown, Czar and junior Marlee Morden each were victorious.