Softball takes one in weekend Midwest trip

Kate McAvey

It was not the most victorious weekend for the softball team, as it took on No. 1 DePaul on April 12 and the Fighting Irish from Notre Dame on April 13. The Wildcats fell 8-0 during the first game against DePaul and 6-2 in the backend of the doubleheader. The highlight of the weekend came from their 4-1 victory the following day, breaking Notre Dame’s eight-game winning streak, but the ‘Cats weren’t able to keep the rhythm flowing as they fell 4-1 in the second game of the day.

In the first game against No. 1 DePaul from Chicago, Ill., the ‘Cats were only able to scratch out three hits in seven innings. Junior Danielle Maricle had a lead-off double in the first, and junior Meghan Morese singled up the middle in the top of the fourth. The final hit for the Wildcats came off the bat of freshman Becky LaMarca, who had a single in the fifth. DePaul scored two runs in the fourth but took the game away in the bottom of the sixth by scoring six runs to end the contest.

In the second game, the Blue Demons found the scoreboard early, jumping out to a 1-0 lead after the first. Going into the third inning, DePaul had a 3-0 lead, but ‘Nova was able to respond with a lead-off homerun by Maricle. With singles by both Morese and sophomore Eryn Teague, freshman Allie Heon was then able to reach first base on an error to load the bases. O’Boyle drove the ball to right for a sacrifice fly, allowing the ‘Cats to close in on the Demons with a tight 3-2 score. In both the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings, the Blue Demons were able to increase their lead to 6-2. In the bottom of the sixth, Villanova started the inning with a walk by Heon, but with no one out for ‘Nova, the game was called after a 30-minute rain delay, handing DePaul the victory.

In the first game on April 13, Villanova snapped Notre Dame’s eight-game win streak and picked up a 4-1 victory. The Fighting Irish were on the board quickly with a RBI single in the first inning, but the Wildcats erupted in the second inning to take the lead. With singles by O’Boyle and Jelinski, Heon was able to reach first on a fielder’s choice to load the bases. O’Boyle was out at third during the next at bat, but the ‘Cats quickly advanced runners to second and third after an error by the Irish. Senior Jackie Dempsey tied the game with a RBI single before Heon stole home to give ‘Nova a lead they never relinquished. The ‘Cats were able to claim a two-run lead with a two-out double down the left field line by freshman Christina Botkins. Senior Carolyn Brown crossed the plate in the sixth after an RBI single off the bat of Dempsey to bring the score to 4-1. The Wildcats were able to hold the lead with the powerful pitching of junior Laura Determan to earn the win.

The second game was not as successful for the ‘Cats, as they fell 10-5 to Notre Dame. The Wildcats came out strong to start with a home run by Morese to go ahead by 2-0. The Irish responded though with three unearned runs in the bottom of the inning to gain the lead. Villanova regained the lead again after the top of the second with RBIs by Dempsey and O’Boyle to end the inning with a score of 4-3. The ‘Cats were able to earn one more run in the top of the fourth, but Notre Dame took the lead in the bottom of the inning, and it stayed that way until the end of the game.

The team will tie up their cleats again today with a doubleheader against Princeton. The game will begin at 3 p.m.