Sports Roundup: Curtis sets another record

Kate McAvey

Senior Bobby Curtis set a new course record, securing a first-place finish while helping the newly-ranked men’s cross country team (No. 22) finish first this weekend at the 34th Annual Brooks Paul Short Run hosted by Lehigh University. The team totaled 44 points, surpassing some impressively ranked schools. Syracuse and Princeton, ranked No. 26 and No. 27, respectively, finished in second and third behind the ‘Cats.

The Wildcats placed three runners in the top seven and also secured the 18th- and 21st-place spots. Curtis crossed the finish line with a time of 23:39 over the 8K course. Junior Robert Papazian finished fourth with a time of 24:17, while senior Michael Kerrigan clocked in with a time of 24:26, securing seventh place. Freshmen Brian Long and Hugo Beamish, who competed in their first official collegiate meet, displayed hope for future years with their performances. Long clocked in with a time of 24:42, finishing 18th, while Beamish crossed the line with a time of 24:46, placing 21st.

Women’s cross country also ranked high at the event, finishing 11th out of 47 teams. Freshman Callie Hogan clocked in with a time of 21:29 in the 6K, finishing 33rd, followed by freshman Ali Smith, who finished 68th with a time of 22:05. Senior Akilah Vargas finished with a time of 22:08, placing 71st in the field for the Wildcats.

Women’s Tennis: Two teams advance to doubles quarterfinals

The women’s tennis team had two pairs advance in doubles play to the quarterfinals this weekend at the Bucknell Invitational. It was a successful outcome for the ‘Cats in their first tournament of the ’07-’08 season, which took place in Lewisburg, Pa.

The duo of senior Ashley Reed and junior Jaclyn Williamson battled to the quarterfinals in Flight A doubles. The successful partners defeated Loyola’s freshman Joy Johnson and sophomore Kerri Swan 8-1 and Duquesne’s junior Rebecca Poole and freshman Zena Williams 8-6 in two impressive matches. Freshmen Natasha Stone and Katherine Monari matched their upperclassman teammates by defeating Duquesne freshmen Lanna Buehler and Kristen Swenson 8-6, and Fairleigh Dickinson sophomores Clara Smith and Jessica DeCarlos 8-5.