Men’s lacrosse falls to No. 16 Drexel

Jonathan Hofmann

Top CAA-seed Drexel came out on top over the No. 4-seeded Wildcat men’s team on Senior Night at the Villanova Stadium. The Drexel squad is ranked No. 16 nationwide and defeated Villanova in a close game.

The Drexel Dragons got off to an early lead, scoring twice in the first quarter and following up with another two goals in the second quarter. The Wildcats were shut out the entire first quarter and most of the second. The team was not able to score until 10 minutes into the second quarter on a goal from junior Tim Driscoll. This brought the score to a 4-1 Dragon lead going into the half.

Drexel began the third quarter with four goals in under four minutes. This time Villanova was able to respond swiftly with a quick three goals, two from Driscoll and one from freshman Mike Brennan. Villanova headed into the final quarter down by a four-goal margin.

Just as in every quarter before, the Dragons got off to an early start with the Wildcats struggling to keep up. Another goal from standout Adam Dennis, his fourth of the contest, gave Drexel a 9-4 lead with 11 minutes left in regulation time.

Another goal brought the Drexel tally to 10, leaving Villanova with a six-goal deficit. The team was able to rally with a score from freshman Chris Aitken. This was quickly followed by a fourth goal from Driscoll. With only 39 seconds left in playing time, senior Matt Panneton added a goal for the Wildcats, but it was not enough.

Drexel’s 10-7 victory over the ‘Cats brought its overall record to 12-3 (5-1 CAA). Drexel outshot the Wildcats 30-24 and won 15-of-20 faceoffs. Junior goalkeeper Andrew DiLoreto made 12 saves.

Villanova honored its eight graduating seniors in a ceremony prior to the start of the game. In addition to Panneton, the other seniors honored included Tim Atkins, Eric Bloom, Timmy Campbell, Jay Foley, Ryan Holloway, Chris MacDonald and Tommy Magree.

The women’s lacrosse team lost again in a crushing defeat against Delaware on Senior Night at the Villanova Stadium. Villanova honored seniors Nikki Bell, Amanda Carlson, Laura Garrett, Lauren Latchford and Stevie McFadden in a halftime ceremony during their final game.

The Delaware Blue Hens dominated the Wildcats throughout the game, beginning with five-straight goals in the opening minutes of the first half. The ‘Cats finally answered with a score from McFadden, her 47th career goal. Delaware answered with two more goals in less than two minutes. The Blue Hens led 7-1 with 18:38 left in the first half.

Katie Stone added her first goal of the contest on a free-position shot. Delaware went on to score four-straight goals, followed by a Villanova score from Samantha McKillip with only 1:31 left in the half. Delaware scored once more at the end of the half, bringing the Blue Hen’s lead to 12-3 going into the second half.

The ‘Cats got off to a strong start in the opening minutes of the second half. An unassisted goal from Taryn McKenna and another from McFadden gave the squad some hope for a comeback. These hopes were quickly squashed by an unrelenting Delaware offense.

Stone added two more goals in the middle of the half, followed by a score from Rachel Lasda with 13:06 left in playing time. McKenna scored again, followed by the last Villanova goal of the night from Kyler O’Shea. Delaware added eight goals to their tally in the second half, five of which came in the last eight minutes. The game ended with a 20-10 Delaware victory, bringing its record to 11-5, while the Wildcats’ record fell to 4-13.