Lacrosse: Wildcat men win in double OT

Jonathan Hofmann

The men’s lacrosse team had a thrilling victory in double overtime against the competitive Robert Morris team. The game was held last Saturday at Joe Walton Stadium, home of the Robert Morris Colonials, in Moon, Pa.

The Colonials got off to a strong start with two goals in the first three minutes of play. The Wildcats answered with four straight goals, all still in the first quarter. Sophomore Mark Scioscia scored the first Villanova goal of the day with 10:58 left to play in the first quarter. Junior Tim Driscoll kept the streak up with his first goal a mere 22 seconds later. Sophomore Paul Webber ended the four-goal streak with two scores at the end of the quarter.

The second quarter yielded less excitement, with Robert Morris scoring twice and Villanova once to tie the score at 5-5 going into the half. Webber added his third goal of the day, to complete a hat-trick, with 6:40 left in playing time in the second quarter.

The third quarter brought back the intensity, and the Wildcats dominated the period. Senior Tim Atkins scored his two goals of the day, and Webber added his fourth to give Villanova an 8-6 lead going into the final quarter.

The two-goal lead was not enough as freshman Trevor Moore of the Colonials scored four goals in less than six minutes. The Wildcats were able to stop the bleeding with Scioscia’s second goal of the day to bring the score to a Robert Morris 10-9 lead. With just 19 seconds left in regulation play, junior Tim Langan scored an unassisted goal to tie the score and cause Villanova’s second overtime contest in four days.

In the first overtime period of four minutes, Villanova outshot Robert Morris 2-1, but no goals were made. The second overtime started with a face off win by freshman John Lade, and the Wildcats immediately called a timeout. When the game started up moments later, Webber was able to give Driscoll the ball for the game-winning goal. Driscoll scored only 49 seconds into the period and gave Villanova an 11-10 victory. This win gives Villanova its second CAA win and brings its overall record to 4-8. The Wildcats play tomorrow at Towson.

The women’s lacrosse team lost 13-12 in a triple-overtime match against Lafayette.

The Wildcats were coming off a 12-5 victory on April 10 over La Salle and again started strong in this matchup. Villanova scored six times in the opening 15 minutes of the first half, but Lafayette dominated the last 15 minutes and brought the score to a 6-5 Villanova lead going into the half.

The game stayed tight throughout the second half with junior Taryn McKenna contributing her fourth goal with 21:26 left to play, tying the score at 8-8. Three more unanswered Wildcat goals, capped off by sophomore Kyler O’Shea, gave Villanova an 11-8 lead with 11:24 left in regulation time.

Two straight goals by Leopard senior Maddy Booth and a final Lafayette goal by junior Kristin Ruminski brought the score to 11-11 at the end of regulation play. The Leopards took an early lead in the first overtime, but McKenna pulled through again, scoring her fifth goal of the day with only 32 seconds left in the overtime.

The second overtime went by with no goals for either team, forcing a heated triple overtime. Ruminski came up big again for Lafayette, scoring her second goal 2:42 into the overtime. Although the Wildcats played their hardest, they were not able to score again, giving the Leopards their first victory of the season.

It was a crushing loss for the Wildcats, but highlights included McKenna’s five goals and two goals apiece by juniors Taylor Lucy and Katie Stone.

The team (4-9) will play at Temple on Saturday.