Dining Services revamps food choices for students

Kathryn Drew

With the coming of the new academic year, Villanova Dining Services has revamped itself to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing tastes of Villanova students.

One of the most obvious changes is the removal of the -popular Ice Cream Shoppe, previously located in Connelly Center. Dining Services has replaced it with the Freshens Energy Zone.

This new addition to Connelly Center will provide students with the same amenities as the Ice Cream Shoppe with a healthier twist.

In addition to milkshakes and soft serve yogurt, the Freshens Energy Zone also provides a range of smoothies and energy snacks.

Reel Divine, adjacent to the Freshens Energy Zone, will now provide students with a variety of beverages, snacks and frozen foods.

Also, Dining Services is implementing a new Late Night menu in Belle Air Terrace.

Breakfast items will now be available from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., Sunday through Thursday.

The “Yo Philly Wake Up” breakfast sandwich will be the highlight of this addition.

“This is a hearty breakfast sandwich featuring Philly steak meat and cheese on a toasted sub roll,” said Tim Dietzler, director of Dining Services. There will also be a foot-long chicken parmesan sandwich available.

While this may not technically be a change, many students don’t know that they can upgrade their meal plans to include The Exchange. This provides students with easier access to the gourmet selections there.

“It’s geared toward the business student who doesn’t need or want to leave Bartley during the day,” Dietzler said. While there are a limited number of upgrades available, all students are eligible to take advantage of the opportunity.

In addition to these changes on Main Campus, a new gourmet line of entrees will be available in 2nd Storey beginning in September. St. Mary’s dining hall has completely redesigned their food choices, giving students many more options, including the addition of a made-to-order stir fry and pasta station.

Tray-less dining, a new trend across college campuses, will also be implemented in St. Mary’s. This is expected to reduce food waste and water usage on campus.

Last January, the Italian Kitchen and Corner Grille began the “Reduce and Reuse” program.

This will be continued this year, making everything in both eating areas reusable or compostable.

Last year this program reduced waste by 98 percent.

Also, in an effort to further reduce the waste of resources, reusable bags and refillable water bottles will be available for purchase at various locations on campus.

Dining Services has over 32 events planned across the academic year to keep students healthy and happy.

These events will be geared toward the entertainment and education of students.

The biggest event, as always, is the bi-annual end-of-semester dinner.

This banquet, serving a gourmet “surf and turf” dinner to students, is an overwhelming success every year, and this year should be no different.

The spread consists of filet mignon and lobster tail, as well fancy deserts.

There is a text message service available to students who are interested in receiving alerts regarding special events provided by Dining Services.