Men’s tennis wins season opener at TCNJ

Corey Marine

The men’s tennis team had an unbelievable showing at The College of New Jersey last weekend in Ewing, N.J. After senior Brian Maher lost the first match in two close sets to TCNJ’s junior Jeremy Eckardt (6-4, 7-5), the Wildcats went on a tear as a team, winning the next 11 matches. Junior Alex Leeser defeated Eckardt in straight sets after dominating a match against TCNJ sophomore Jonathan Yu. Maher also beat Yu, with Yu winning only one game in the 6-1, 6-0 victory.

In flight B, sophomores David Shaheen and Trenton Alenik went on to win their matches in straight sets. Freshmen Michael Taylor and Zack Siegler took care of business in flight C with their convincing wins.

The women did not find success as easily as the men’s team, with The College of New Jersey Lions coming away with two more matches than ‘Nova in the 12-match event. Juniors Courtney Reed and Allison Solberg took the first two matches in flight A singles before senior Daniella Phillis and freshman Kristen Gobberg lost in straight sets in flight B. The Wildcats then went on to split fight C with the Lions, with freshman Alexandra Harding walking away victorious and senior senior Lyndsey Lostritto losing. Flight D belonged to TCNJ, as sophomore Natasha Stone and freshman Elizabeth Spelman struggled to come up with games, losing their matches 8-4 and 8-3, respectively.

The two teams sides split the doubles matches evenly. The only contested victory was when TCNJ squeaked by with a victory over Phillis and Reed by a score of 8-5. The other TCNJ victory came at the score of 8-1, while the two Wildcat wins both ended in scores of 8-3.