One Day University hosted by Villanova

Derek Stump

Two hundred people packed Connelly Center to participate in a One Day University event on Sept. 27. This is the second year the University has hosted the event.

One Day University selects the best professors from 30 schools to speak at events. One Day considers awards and student recommendations to determine candidates, according to One Day University Co-Founder Steven Schragis.

The event hosted professors from Barnard, Brown, Columbia and Harvard lecturing on topics such as Islam, global warming, FDR and WWII and the economics of immigration.

Schragis compared the speakers of One Day to an all-star team. He also highlighted their diverse range of subjects and teaching styles as a key element in satisfying audiences.

The different speakers each brought something different to the table, ensuring there was be something for everyone, according to Schragis.

Dr. Nancy Kelley initially contacted One Day about hosting an event at Villanova. At that time, there was no One Day in the Philadelphia area. Villanova became the seventh site out of now 12 cities hosting One Day events, according to Schragis.

Kelley said One Day usually draws former college students, ranging from their 40s to 70s. The attendees are largely local residents. They attend because they are seeking intellectual stimulation as they experienced during college.

Both Kelley and Schragis identified the event as a service to the area and local residents. There is a large demand among graduates to once again be part of a stimulating college experience, which was evident by the sold-out event.

Schragis also pointed to attendees’ shifting priorities to explain enthusiasm for One Day events.

For many, their children are grown and out of the house, and less time is devoted to their careers.

Their focuses shift, and they are interested in learning for learning’s sake. Kelley said that although a fair number of alumni were present, they do not form a majority of the audience. One Day University increases interaction between Villanova and the people living in the surrounding areas, according to Kelley.