Milkboy comedy club

Katie Fitzgerald

A lone black vinyl chair sits in the middle of a small stage.

Behind it, a window glows with the blue-and-red light of the Milkboy sign.

Completing the simplistic stage: a silver pail adorned with a scribbled note reading “tip jar.”

This modest setting is the home to a new feature at Bryn Mawr’s MilkBoy Acoustic Café, the comedy show “Last Laughs” held on the last Monday of each month.

The program, initiated by rising comedian Nolan Gilbride, debuted on Sept. 29 to a small but receptive audience.

“We didn’t know there was a comedy show; we were just here,” said Radnor High School student Ryan White. “We’d check it out again.”

The inaugural show featured sets from Gilbride and other local Philadelphia comedians, including 2008 Philly’s Phunniest winner Kent Haines, two-time Philly’s Phunniest finalist Pat Barker and Doogie Horner of the sketch comedy group, “The Ministry of Secret Jokes.” Each comedian took the stage for a 20-minute set.

Depending on the success of future shows, sets may be extended in length.

Each show features new comedians, but Barker, Haines and Horner sall aid they are willing to return in the future.

While the show is open to the public, high school and college students are the target audience.

“College crowds are more open-minded,” Haines said. “They’re ready for new and interesting things.”

Following the success of the Ardmore branch, the Bryn Mawr MilkBoy opened in 2005.

The shop hosts a variety of performers every month and features a monthly acoustic night.

“Last Laughs” provides a new outlet for the performing arts and gives rising comedians an opportunity to develop their material.

Along with winning the 2008 Philly’s Phunniest Competition, Haines is the star of “That Guy,” a Web series produced by Crackle available for viewing on YouTube.

Doogie Horner is a comedy writer whose material can be found on comicvsaudience.com.

He also hosts the monthly comedy show “The Ministry of Secret Jokes.”

Barker was a finalist in the 2007 and 2008 Philly’s Phunniest Competitions.

He has performed at the Borgata in Atlantic City and is a regular at Helium Comedy Club.

Gilbride is originally from Wahoo, Neb., and started “Last Laughs” after performing at the Ardmore MilkBoy.

He has opened for Dom Irrera, Emo Phillips, Bob Saget and Doug Stanhope.

The next “Last Laughs” night will be held on Oct. 27.

Mondays are also student discount nights, and students with ID receive 20 percent off their purchases.