WSOC: ‘Cats split weekend

Kate McAvey

This weekend was a win-loss affair for the women’s soccer team as it fell 2-1 to Loyola on Sept. 26 but ended its losing streak with a 1-0 win against the Seton Hall Pirates on Sept. 28.

It was a see-saw battle on Sept. 26 when the Wildcats lost 2-1 to the Loyola Greyhounds at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field in Baltimore. It was a nail-biter during the final minute. With 10 seconds remaining, ‘Nova had an opportunity to score after being awarded a corner kick. Freshman Erin Ryan tried to take advantage of the opportunity with a blast on the net with one second left. The ball nearly crossed the goal line before Loyola junior goalie Brittany Henderson snatched it and sealed the win for the Greyhounds.

Loyola was the first team on the board. At just 2:52 into play, the Greyhounds netted the ball into the right corner of the goal to take the lead at 1-0.

The Wildcats tied the game after halftime on a goal by sophomore Amy Greco and kept the game at one apiece for a 10 minutes. At 68:56, Loyola’s senior Kristina Balfoort scored off a corner kick by sophomore Lilia Staropoli. The ‘Cats were never able to come back.

The Wildcats were outshot 11-9 for the afternoon, but they outshot the Greyhounds 7-5 in the second half with a 3-1 advantage on corner kicks for the game. Sophomore Rachel Schuyler had four shots on goal, while freshman Megan Verdeur took three for Villanova. Senior Leann Kania’s earned three saves during her first time in goal for the Wildcats.

Villanova’s losing streak finally ended when it defeated Seton Hall 1-0 in a rainy, afternoon game at the West Campus Soccer Complex.

The winning goal came off the cleat of junior Grace Hawkins. During the 51st minute of play, Hawkins took a shot on goal that was initially deflected, but her second blast passed the goalkeeper to put the ‘Cats on the board.

‘Nova had a 22-11 edge over the Pirates in shots on goal for the game. Senior goalie Molly Williams had two saves for the afternoon, one coming in each half as she earned her eighth victory and third shutout of the season.

This game was the first of a five-game homestand for Villanova. The team is set to host St. John’s tomorrow at 4 p.m.