Spirit event helps charity

Bridget Nyland

The Basketball Club Executive Board and Campus Ministry will run a new event next semester designed to promote both philanthropy and Villanova Basketball.

The event, “Spirit of the Season,” will encourage students to give unused clothing to a collection at the Feb. 7 men’s basketball game against Syracuse.

“This clothing drive allows students to demonstrate their commitment to the ideals of Villanova University, in the care we take for the less fortunate and the unity we share as fans,” said John Nawn, co-creator of the event.

While the group is most interested in unused sweatshirts and jackets, they will accept all donations.

Donation boxes will be placed at the entrace to the student sections and throughout the Wachovia Center.

In an effort to increase fan enthusiasm, they will also offer face painting to all students at the game.

“John Nawn and I have made it a personal goal to encourage fan involvement and face paint as an outward sign of dedication to the team,” said Jeffery Sved, organizer of the event. “We have also noticed that fan energy increases with the amount of paint in the stands. When you’re already painted, there is nothing stopping you from going nuts cheering for our ‘Cats.”

Also, all students involved in the donation will be entered into a raffle, which will be given out at halftime.

Prizes will include one or two T-shirts signed by the men’s basketball team.

The event was inspired by student service at a St. Francis’ soup kitchen in Kennsington, Pa.

“While serving at St. Francis Inn with Beth Awalt, we commented on how cold it was outside,” Sved said. “Driving home that evening, we talked about how the cold affected the people there and discussed the possibility of a clothing drive to get warm clothing in the hands of the patrons there.”

Working through Campus Ministry, the proceeds from the clothing drive will be donated to St. Francis, which will individually distribute the clothing to families in the Kennsington area.

The group encourages students to look through old clothes and find old sweatshirts, jackets and shirts for the donation over winter break.