E.A.C. weekend welcomes hundreds

Amanda Doyle

The campus played host to the already admitted students during Early Action Candidates’ Weekend last Friday and Saturday. Over 1,800 people, including parents of the students, attended.

The weekend began on Feb. 15 with the Nursing Luncheon and College of Nursing presentation. There were about 60 people at the lunch, and the intimate setting gave the prospective students a chance to get to know the University and the nursing program.

Also on Friday, prospective students had the chance to sit in on classes. The remainder of the day was dedicated to the Philosophy of Education presentation and on-campus dining experiences.

The Philosophy of Education presentation in the Villanova Room of Connelly Center occurred at 3:30 p.m. and featured a diverse group of professors. Each professor spoke about the department to which he or she belongs, including history, nursing, engineering and theatre. They spoke about the learning environment that the prospective students should expect from the University.

“The professors that spoke were so creative and passionate,” Erin Buckley, assistant director of Admissions said. “These professors all love to teach.”

The attendees were then treated to dinner at either Donahue Hall or Dougherty Hall. A dessert reception followed in the Presidents’ Lounge of Connelly Center.

Saturday began with breakfast and registration for the participants. The students registered for programs based on their desired majors. They then split up to proceed with their different itineraries.

The itineraries consisted of academic presentations based on the student’s chosen college; speeches by University President Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A., and students; campus tours; and a University open house that featured presentations based on different groups which are a part of the University.

The Colleges of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Engineering and the Villanova School of Business each had departmental presentations within their academic presentations to allow students to get a feel for the different majors offered.

Students could attend up to two departmental programs within the college they have been admitted to.

Current students spoke at the presentations, giving them an opportunity to relate to the prospective students.

“We really tried to put the spotlight on the students,” Buckley said. “This year, more than ever, we made it a point to have freshmen speak because they were just in [the prospective students’] shoes.”

Current students from within each college gave campus tours.

Prospective students then had lunch at Dougherty Hall. After lunch there was a University open house that featured programs about financial assistance, merit-based scholarships, Career Services, Campus Ministry, health professions and the Office for International Studies. These programs ran twice so that the candidates and their families could see at least two of the presentations.

The weekend concluded with a Mass at the St. Thomas of Villanova Church that was planned completely by current students.

Mass does not usually take place on Saturday nights, but it allowed the prospective students and their families to see another side of the University.

“We wanted to give a service to the people attending the weekend,” Buckley said. “No matter what, people wanted to see the spiritual side of Villanova.”

The group of candidates in attendance this past weekend serves as a representation of the University’s increasing selectivity. Students admitted Early Action have average GPAs of 3.77-4.12 on a 4.0 weighted scale and average SAT scores of 1330-1430 out of 1600.

Villanova University’s Early Action admission allows students to apply early as a reward for hard work and excellence, according to George Walter, associate dean of Enrollment Management for University Admission and Financial Assistance.

“It is a process without pressure,” Walter said. “[The Early Action admission’s] purpose is to provide students who have excelled with an opportunity … but without restrictions. We are trying to make sure we are extending opportunities to students who are right for them.”