Senior sets career mark in victory

Alex Gallucci

Last week saw yet another set of remarkable performances by senior forward Laura Kurz, who recorded her second consecutive double-double at the Pavilion on Dec. 7. Kurz’s 19 points against Lehigh helped the Wildcats record a 58-52 victory, leading her to be named The Villanovan’s Star of the Week.

Her 15 rebounds against the Mountain Hawks marked a career-high, surpassing her previous record of 14, which she set in the Dec. 4 triple-overtime loss to St. Joseph’s. In the longest game in Villanova and women’s City Series history, Kurz contributed 28 points, four assists and two steals and was the only Villanova player to score in double digits.

Unsurprisingly, Kurz’s set of double-doubles was not the first record-breaking occurrence of her basketball career. In fact, the game marked the sixth double-double in her career at Villanova.

In her high school career at Germantown Academy, Kurz set a school record as the all-time leading scorer with 2,247 points, averaging 22.5 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.

In her freshman year at Duke University, Kurz tied the school’s freshman single-game record, making four 3-pointers on two occasions. Additionally, she ranked first on the Duke women’s career 3-point field-goal percentage chart with 44.8 percent, and her 87.5 free-throw percentage placed her fourth in Duke women’s history.

In her sophomore season, Kurz reached double figures in points in seven games and helped the Blue Devils to advance to the national championship with a 31-4 season record.

Kurz transferred to Villanova following the completion of her sophomore year at Duke, but was forced to sit out the ’06-’07 season due to NCAA transfer regulations. In her first year of play at Villanova, she led the team as a strong offensive force, averaging a team-high 14.9 points per game.

This year marks her fourth and final year of eligibility, and her record breaking certainly demonstrates that she is making the most of it. She is fast approaching the 1,000-career point mark, with 628 of her current 986 points having been scored as a Wildcat.

Some may say that Kurz’s talent is genetic, as basketball dominates her family sports history. Her brother Rob played basketball for Notre Dame, her cousin helped the Catholic University team to a Division III Championship in 2001 and her mother Carol’s 1976 record for rebounds per game at Lafayette still stands as an all-time school record.

Given her recent performances, there is no doubt that Kurz will follow in her mother’s footsteps by leaving Villanova with a few untouchable records of her own.