Students vote for Lindback Teaching Award recipient

Kelsey Ruane

Tomorrow is the voting deadline for this year’s Lindback Award for Outstanding Teaching, the University’s recognition for excellence in teaching.

Each May at the Commencement ceremonies, the University recognizes one full-time professor who has not previously received the Lindback Award, as excelling in instruction.

The award represents Villanova’s emphasis on the classroom experience for all students.

Sophomores, juniors and seniors are responsible for the nomination process. They nominate up to three outstanding professors through NOVASIS.

“This is the students’ only opportunity to meaningfully weigh in on the University’s excellent teachers,” said Rick Eckstein, sociology professor, chair of the Lindback Award Committee and the 1999 Award recipient.

Last year, over 1,200 students participated, according to Eckstein.

“We hope to increase that participation this year,” he said.

From the student vote, the committee compiles a list of between 10 and 15 professors that is voted on by all full-time faculty members.

The Lindback Award Committee, composed of former award recipients and a graduating senior, narrows this list to between four and seven finalists using the faculty vote and votes from previous years.

Members of the committee visit their classes and review their teaching portfolios.

University President Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A., chooses the winner, according to the Office of Academic Affairs’ Web site.

The award is named after Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback, whose foundation has established similar awards at other universities in N.J., Pa., Md., Del. and Va. Mr. Lindback was the founder of Abbots Dairies in Philadelphia.

The University of Pennsylvania was the first institution to award the Lindback.

Last year’s winner was Phil Stephens, a biology professor.

The award includes an honorarium and a medallion.